Newton's Principia translated and Writings of Leibniz?

• Thread starter Concavity
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Leibniz
In summary, there are accessible versions of Newton's Principia in English, such as the one written by Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar. Additionally, there are also mathematical texts written by Leibniz that are now accessible for study, which can easily be found through a quick Google search.
Concavity
Hey I was wondering if anyone knew of any good, intuitive and accessible versions of Newton's Principia in English? Also, if anyone could tell me of any mathematical texts written by Leibniz that are now accessible to study? Much thanks:)

Physics news on Phys.org
Concavity said:
Hey I was wondering if anyone knew of any good, intuitive and accessible versions of Newton's Principia in English? Also, if anyone could tell me of any mathematical texts written by Leibniz that are now accessible to study? Much thanks:)

Hey Concavity and welcome to the forums.

A quick google search turned up the first element:

http://archive.org/details/100878576

I know that there are lots of philosophy books written for Leibniz in many forms (commentary, analysis, his writings, etc), but I'd implore you to use google at a minimum :)

@chiro

Thank you very much! That's exactly what I was looking for.

Concavity said:

The Nobel prize winning astronomer Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar spent ten years working through the Principia and wrote this book. It's got good reviews on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/019852675X/?tag=pfamazon01-20

1. What is the significance of "Newton's Principia" and the writings of Leibniz?

"Newton's Principia" and the writings of Leibniz are significant because they laid the foundation for modern physics and calculus. These works introduced groundbreaking concepts such as the laws of motion and the fundamental theorem of calculus, which are still used in scientific research today.

2. Who was the first to develop the laws of motion and calculus?

Sir Isaac Newton and Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz both independently developed the laws of motion and calculus. However, there has been much debate and controversy over who should be credited as the true discoverer.

3. What is the difference between Newton's and Leibniz's approach to calculus?

Newton's approach to calculus, known as fluxions, focused on the concept of infinitesimal quantities and their rates of change. On the other hand, Leibniz's approach, known as differentials, used the concept of infinitely small changes in variables. Both methods are equivalent and are still used in modern calculus.

4. Did Newton and Leibniz have a friendly relationship?

No, there was significant animosity between Newton and Leibniz due to the dispute over who was the true discoverer of calculus. This feud continued even after their deaths, with supporters from both sides defending their respective contributions.

5. How did "Newton's Principia" and Leibniz's writings impact the scientific community?

Their works revolutionized the scientific community and paved the way for further advancements in physics and mathematics. The principles and theories introduced in "Newton's Principia" and Leibniz's writings are still fundamental to our understanding of the physical world and are widely studied and applied in various fields of science.