Newton's Second Law Particle Problem

In summary, a particle of mass m is attracted by a force defined by F(x) = -k*x^-2 and is released from rest at x = d. To find the time it takes to reach the origin, the kinematic equation is used by equating the force and the second law of Newton's equations. After separating the variables and integrating once, the equation is solved for velocity, and then for time by integrating again between the limits x = d and x = 0.
skyrolla

Homework Statement

4. A particle of mass m is experiences a Force that attracts the particle following
F(x) = -k*x^-2
(an inverse square relationship) where x is the distance from an origin at x = 0 and k is a
positive constant. If the particle is released from rest at x = d, how long does it take to reach the origin?

Homework Equations

F = ma = m(dv/dt)

The Attempt at a Solution

Equating Newton's second and the Force equations yields -k*x^-2 = m(dv/dx)(v).

After seperating the variables and integrating once, I got V = sqrt(2k/m)*sqrt((1/x)-(1/d)).

My boundary condition was that at x = d, v =0 for the integration. Setting V = dx/dt and trying to solve for x(t) is unfathomable, so I'm not sure how to continue here, or if I have been taking the wrong approach. I've double checked my math as well, so I don't believe the error is there, but I could always be wrong.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Let the velocity of the particle be v when it passes the origin.
The kinematic equation becomes
v = vo + at. But a = -k/m*1/x^2 and vo = 0
So
dx/dt = -k/m*1/x^2 or
x^2*dx = -k/m*t*dt
Find integration between the limits x = d to x = 0 and find t.

Hi skyrolla! :smile:

(have a square-root: √ and an integral: ∫ and try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)

If you need to solve ∫ √x/(√x - a) dx, just make the obvious substitution. :wink:

I thought that kinematic equation was only applicable to a constant force, not a position-dependent varying one?

skyrolla said:
I thought that kinematic equation was only applicable to a constant force, not a position-dependent varying one?
In the kinematic equation we have taken into account the position dependence of the acceleration. And we have taken the integration to find t. So it must work.

1. What is Newton's Second Law Particle Problem?

Newton's Second Law Particle Problem is a physics problem that involves the application of Newton's Second Law of Motion to a single particle or object. It is used to determine the acceleration of the particle based on the forces acting on it.

2. What is the formula for Newton's Second Law Particle Problem?

The formula for Newton's Second Law Particle Problem is F = ma, where F is the net force acting on the particle, m is the mass of the particle, and a is the acceleration of the particle.

3. How do you solve a Newton's Second Law Particle Problem?

To solve a Newton's Second Law Particle Problem, you first need to identify all the forces acting on the particle. Then, you can use the formula F = ma to calculate the acceleration of the particle. Finally, you can use this acceleration to determine the motion of the particle.

4. What are some real-life examples of Newton's Second Law Particle Problem?

Some real-life examples of Newton's Second Law Particle Problem include a car accelerating on a highway, a rollercoaster going down a hill, and a person jumping off a diving board.

5. How does Newton's Second Law Particle Problem relate to other laws of motion?

Newton's Second Law Particle Problem is closely related to Newton's First Law of Motion (law of inertia) and Newton's Third Law of Motion (law of action and reaction). Together, these laws explain the behavior of particles and objects in motion.