Does Newton's Third Law Explain the Different Fall Rates of Water and Glass?

In summary, a glass of water dropped off a building will fall at the same rate as the glass, regardless of air resistance. This is due to the fact that all objects fall at the same rate, as proven by Galileo. If air resistance is taken into account, the glass will slow down the water and they will both fall together. However, if the glass falls in a different style, the glass may fall slower than the water due to surface area and weight differences.
mrcore64
Hello!
We often have lots of free time on our hands at work when we should be er... working, anyway we use this time to debate questions that none of us are qualified to answer in a 'I'm 110% right B***H' way. So I decided to come here and post a couple of the ones we have been arguing in the hope that someone who knows his s**t can give us a 'I'm 110% right B***H' answer...

Todays one was...
'If you drop a glass of water off a building and ensure it falls straight, would the water fall slower than the glass?'

Cheers!

P.S*Sorry about the title of the thread it has nothing to do with this question! lol

Last edited:
Science news on Phys.org
Well think about it, under what circumstances would one part fall slower?

Err if erm the... No, lol I have no idea!
Basicaly my argument is that the water would lift from the bottom of the glass and therefore fall slower and hit the ground after the glass...

My mate(Alex) thinks that the air resistance would cause the glass to fall slower which would hold the water from being able to fall faster so the glass would still contain the water when it hits the ground...

I'd like to point out at this point I know physics like *Keanu Reeves knows Shakespeare

Last edited:
mrcore64 said:
I'd like to point out at this point I know physics like Keanu Reaves knows Shakespeare
LOL, I don't even know who Keanu Reaves is. :rofl:

lol indeed... I meant Reeves! S**T

mrcore64 said:
Basicaly my argument is that the water would lift from the bottom of the glass and therefore fall slower and hit the ground after the glass...

My mate(Alex) thinks that the air resistance would cause the glass to fall slower which would hold the water from being able to fall faster so the glass would still contain the water when it hits the ground...

Your friend Alex is more right than you although his statement isn't 100% correct. Close though. It really wouldn't matter if there was air resistance or not for this experiment. On Earth (taking out air friction) and anywhere else there is gravity, everything falls at the same rate. If you were to take a 100 pound ball and a 50 pound ball and drop them from the same hight at the same time, they both would hit the ground at the same time. So picture a cup of water in your hand. The water sits at the bottem of the cup. When you drop the cup both the cup and water accelerate towards the Earth at the same time.

To comfirm your experiment just get a paper cup, fill it with water and drop it and try to see what happens.

I think one of the best examples I've seen is this one.

My professor dropped our physics book and a piece of paper at the same time. The book fell to the group the fastest. Then he placed a piece of paper on the book, and they fell at the same rate. Thus :D Victory for physics.

Oops, I dropped my drink.

mrcore64 said:
Hello!
We often have lots of free time on our hands at work when we should be er... working, anyway we use this time to debate questions that none of us are qualified to answer in a 'I'm 110% right B***H' way. So I decided to come here and post a couple of the ones we have been arguing in the hope that someone who knows his s**t can give us a 'I'm 110% right B***H' answer...

Todays one was...
'If you drop a glass of water off a building and ensure it falls straight, would the water fall slower than the glass?'

Cheers!

P.S*Sorry about the title of the thread it has nothing to do with this question! lol

A glass of water dropped straight and upright would arrive at the ground as it left the top. How can I know that? Well, from Galileo I know that all objects fall at the same rate, barring air resistance. So without air we know that the glass will fall together. If we add air resistance then we see that the glass gets slowed down to some extent and would fall more slowly but, since the water is confined by the glass and cannot fall faster, they stay together. Right?

Well, the glass acts as a barrier against air friction. At the same time, the water can't go faster than the glass. This means that the glass slows down the water, so they both fall at the same time and in harmony.

I get the feeling based on how the problem was stated, that air resistance should be taken into account. If the glass falls upright and doesn't rotate, of course the glass will hit the ground with the water still in it.

when air resistance is not negligible
actually the water will be slower than the glass based on surface area and the glass assumed to have greater weight than total weight of water(under circumstance that the glass fall upside down position). and then the water exert force to the inner base of the glass ( explanation through Newton's third law)
if the glass fall in another style ( not up side down) the glass will have more surface area than the water, in this case air resistance for water is zero (hence falling at exactly 9.81 ms^-2). such as the glass will be slower than water. and with around the same reasoning as previous case, we normally see both fall at the same rate.
sorry my English sux

Last edited:

What is Newton's Third Law of Motion?

Newton's Third Law of Motion states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that when an object exerts a force on another object, the second object will exert an equal force in the opposite direction on the first object.

How does Newton's Third Law of Motion apply to everyday life?

Newton's Third Law of Motion can be observed in many everyday situations, such as pushing a shopping cart or kicking a ball. When you push a shopping cart, the cart exerts an equal and opposite force on you, allowing it to move forward. When you kick a ball, your foot exerts a force on the ball, and the ball reacts by moving in the opposite direction.

What is an example of Newton's Third Law of Motion in action?

An example of Newton's Third Law of Motion in action is a rocket launching into space. As the rocket's engines push hot gas out of the back of the rocket, the gas exerts an equal and opposite force on the rocket, propelling it forward into space.

Can Newton's Third Law of Motion be violated?

No, Newton's Third Law of Motion is a fundamental law of physics and cannot be violated. For every action, there must be an equal and opposite reaction in the opposite direction.

How is Newton's Third Law of Motion related to the other laws of motion?

Newton's Third Law of Motion is closely related to Newton's First and Second Laws of Motion. Together, these laws describe the relationship between an object's motion and the forces acting upon it. Newton's First Law states that an object will remain at rest or in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. Newton's Second Law states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass.