Newton's Three Law's on Cars, Bicycles, Objects

• Thread starter Becca93
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cars
In summary, the statements are as follows:A) False - If two objects are under the influence of equal forces, they are still subject to mass. Meaning the acceleration is not ALWAYS the same.B) False - If something is going at a constant velocity, the forces are in balance and it does not need an applied force to maintain its speed.C) True - For something to have a constant velocity, all the forces must be in balance, making the net force zero.D) False - If the forces are balanced, then the speed of the object will not change.E) True - For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.F) True - Net force on an object implies that the forces are imbalanced
Becca93
Homework Statement

Indicate whether the following statements are always true or can be false.

A) If two objects are under the influence of equal forces, they have the same acceleration.
B) In order not to slow down, a motorcycle moving at a constant velocity needs a small net force applied.
C) The net force which acts on an object which maintains a constant velocity is zero.
D) If a net force acts on an object, the object's speed will change.
E) During the collision of a large truck with a car, the car exerts an equal size force on the truck as the truck exerts on the car.
F) If a net force acts on an object, the object's velocity will change. The attempt at a solution

My thought process on this has been:

A) F - The equation for force is F=ma. If two objects are under the influence of equal forces, they are still subject to mass. Meaning the acceleration is not ALWAYS the same.

B) F - If something is going a constant velocity, the forces are in balance. It is in motion, overcoming any force of friction. Therefore, it should not need an applied force (as it would create acceleration)

C) T - For something to have a constant velocity (be it moving or at rest) all the forces have to be in balance, making ƩFnet = 0

D) F - If the forces are in balance, they're still acting on the object, but the speed of the object isn't changing.

E) T - For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

F) F - Net force acting on an object could be zero, meaning the velocity will no change.

Note: the above is showing as incorrect. There are flaws in my reasoning and I don't know what they are. I need help.

My previous answers have been as follows:

1 Incorrect. (Try 1) FFTTFT
2 Incorrect. (Try 2) FTTTFT
3 Incorrect. (Try 3) FFTTTT
4 Incorrect. (Try 4) FFTTTF
5 Incorrect. (Try 5) fffttf
6 Incorrect. (Try 6) fftftf
7 Incorrect. (Try 7) fttftf
8 Incorrect. (Try 8) FFTFTF
9 Incorrect. (Try 8) FTTFTF
I only have a few tries left and this is the only question keeping me from completing my assignment. Any and all help would be extremely welcome.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I believe F is true.Net force on an object implies the forces are imbalanced, in my eyes.The reason F would then be true and D is still false is that an object may be moving in uniform circular motion, so the magnitude of its velocity (speed) remains constant while direction changes.The rest of your reasoning seems right.

So the new guess would be FFTFTT.

Villyer said:
I believe F is true.

Net force on an object implies the forces are imbalanced, in my eyes.

The reason F would then be true and D is still false is that an object may be moving in uniform circular motion, so the magnitude of its velocity (speed) remains constant while direction changes.

The rest of your reasoning seems right.

So the new guess would be FFTFTT.

Yes! It's correct! I got it! Oh, thank you so, so much!

Becca93 said:
Yes! It's correct! I got it! Oh, thank you so, so much!

Whenever a series of questions asks about speed, then velocity under the same conditions, always be wary. Those can get tricky.

After reviewing your previous attempts and thought process, here are the correct answers for each statement:

A) F - This statement is always true according to Newton's Second Law, F=ma. If two objects have the same mass and are under the influence of equal forces, their acceleration will also be the same.

B) T - This statement is true because according to Newton's First Law (Law of Inertia), an object in motion will stay in motion unless acted upon by an external force. In this case, the motorcycle is already in motion and does not require an additional force to maintain its constant velocity.

C) T - This statement is true because according to Newton's First Law, an object at rest or in motion with a constant velocity will have a net force of zero acting on it. This means that all the forces acting on the object are balanced.

D) T - This statement is true because according to Newton's Second Law, a net force acting on an object will result in a change in its velocity (either in speed or direction).

E) T - This statement is true because of Newton's Third Law, which states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. In this case, the forces between the truck and car are equal in size but opposite in direction.

F) T - This statement is true because according to Newton's Second Law, a net force acting on an object will result in a change in its velocity (either in speed or direction).

It is important to carefully review and understand Newton's Laws of Motion in order to correctly answer these statements. Also, remember to always check the units and signs in your calculations and reasoning. I hope this helps you with your assignment. Good luck!

1. What are Newton's Three Laws of Motion?

Newton's Three Laws of Motion are a set of principles that describe the behavior of objects in motion. They were developed by Sir Isaac Newton in the 17th century and are considered the foundation of classical mechanics.

2. How do Newton's Three Laws apply to cars?

Newton's First Law, also known as the Law of Inertia, states that an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will continue in motion with constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. In a car, this can be seen when a car comes to a stop at a red light and then starts moving again when the light turns green. Newton's Second Law, also known as the Law of Acceleration, states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. This can be seen in a car's acceleration when the gas pedal is pressed. Finally, Newton's Third Law, also known as the Law of Action and Reaction, states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. In a car, this can be seen when the wheels push against the ground for forward motion.

3. How do Newton's Three Laws apply to bicycles?

Similar to cars, the First Law applies to bicycles when they are at rest or in motion. The Second Law can be seen when a cyclist pedals, as the force applied to the pedals results in acceleration. The Third Law can be seen when the wheels push against the ground for forward motion, and also when a cyclist leans into a turn, causing a reaction force from the ground that allows them to turn.

4. How do Newton's Three Laws apply to objects in general?

Newton's First Law applies to all objects, as it describes the natural tendency of objects to maintain their state of motion. The Second Law applies to objects of any size or mass, as it describes the relationship between force, mass, and acceleration. And the Third Law applies to all objects, as it describes the equal and opposite forces that occur when objects interact with each other.

5. Are there any real-life examples of Newton's Three Laws in action?

Yes, there are many real-life examples of Newton's Three Laws in action. For example, a rocket launching into space is a demonstration of all three laws. The First Law explains why the rocket stays in motion once it is launched, the Second Law explains how the rocket is able to accelerate and overcome the force of gravity, and the Third Law explains how the rocket is propelled forward by the force of the exhaust gases pushing against the ground. Other examples include a person pushing a shopping cart, a ball rolling down a hill, and a bird flying in the air.