Nextgen SSOlar, Efficiency, Broadcast Power

In summary: Instead, the main driver may be fresh water availability in the US southwest (where solar PV tends to work best) - but that's a political issue too.In summary, the efficiency gained in an orbital solar generating facility may be mitigated by diffusion loss when transmitting through an atmosphere. The rate of efficiency growth in solar panels is not comparable to that of computer chips. It is uncertain when solar generation efficiency will reach the "tipping point" of equivalent cost compared to fossil fuels, as it depends on factors such as subsidies and infrastructure costs. However, the price of solar PV is currently falling and could potentially reach this point within the next 20 years. Additionally, the balance is shifting in favor of solar power with the subsidies and penalties for
SocratesRedux
Would the efficiency gained in an orbital Solar generating facility be mitigated by some/degree of diffusion loss when transmitting, say by microwave. through an atmosphere?
Is the rate of efficiency growth in solar panels comparable to that of computer chips?
(I think the answer is no). And when, in your estimation, will solar generation eficiency reach the "tipping point" of equivilent cost compared to fossil?
If solar is "free fuel" in the sense of sustainability, what level of infrastructure- i.e. "sunk cost" creates a sustainability model, say per each 500Kw, or other "optimum size" plant. (I understand that optimums may vary by location complexities, and so on.)

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Efficiency can never be above 100%, so it can't possibly rise geometrically. Cost, however, can drop at any rate it wants. So decreasing cost, not increasing efficiency, is where the path to viability lies.

When? Dunno...maybe 20 years, maybe never.

unfortunately, there too many too powerful people at the top that are making sure that we don't get off of oil...they are making way too much money.

other that the conspiracy theories that people who have invented very efficient engines or engines that run on water or whatever have met a premature accidental death...

the fact is the oil companies have been lobbying for years and get a lot, a lot of subsidies for their infrastructure, etc...they are the ones that say that solar is too expensive at the present time...well, guess what, if the solar industry received the kind of subsidies that the oil one is getting..solar would definitely be affordable...

...100 years ago, I can understand the oil industry needing some help...but today? this companies have billions...they don't need help...I think they should take the subsidy away from oil and give to solar/wind.

SocratesRedux said:
...when, in your estimation, will solar generation eficiency reach the "tipping point" of equivilent cost compared to fossil? ...
This chart by an MIT solar PV pioneer presents one viewpoint. The "Today" marker was ~2009-10. Note however that the price of NG electricity is also dropping. Indeed, I expect those price lines for both gas and coal could be dynamic if solar starts to gain significant share, reducing the demand for those fuels. The price of solar PV today is http://www.solarbuzz.com/facts-and-figures/retail-price-environment/solar-electricity-prices" (sunny climate, industrial scale) and falling at 1% per month.
post_full_1287582320learning_curve.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
gsal said:
unfortunately, there too many too powerful people at the top that are making sure that we don't get off of oil...they are making way too much money...
gsal: That's an entirely political and economic post. PF has other sub forums for that kind of discussion.

Sorry. It was probably a bit over the top.

The reason for the non-technical answer and reference to subsidies was because the OP asks for that "tipping point" / equivalent cost of solar energy compared to fossil...

...it was not for the unbalance of subsidies we would already be there...

that's all I am trying to say.

russ_watters said:
Welcome to PF!
Cost, however, can drop at any rate it wants. So decreasing cost, not increasing efficiency, is where the path to viability lies.

When? Dunno...maybe 20 years, maybe never.

I don't think it is the cost of solar as much as the comparative cost with regards to fossil fuels. It may be that it's not the reduction in the cost of solar as much as the increase in cost of fossil fuels that causes the tipping point. If the oil and solar subsidies were both eliminated we could have an honest competition between the two.

Personally, I think that if houses were constructed with solar panels on the roof, where practical, with their cost amortized along with the house, people would be much more willing to consider solar.

gsal said:
Sorry. It was probably a bit over the top.

The reason for the non-technical answer and reference to subsidies was because the OP asks for that "tipping point" / equivalent cost of solar energy compared to fossil...

...it was not for the unbalance of subsidies we would already be there...

that's all I am trying to say.

Well many countries are now subsidizing solar power, and in addition many are also starting to penalize coal via a price on CO2. So despite the conspiracy theories the balance is very much shifting in the other direction in many parts of the world.

The total percent of power production from PV is current only small and still mostly needs some kind of subsidies (or CO2 penalties) to compete, but the gap is closing pretty fast. I think mesleps graph summarizes the situation pretty well, I think within about five years PV solar power will be competitive (maybe even more so for solar thermal).

uart said:
... I think mesleps graph summarizes the situation pretty well,
http://www.technologyreview.com/energy/32383/" :smile:
I think within about five years PV solar power will be competitive (maybe even more so for solar thermal).
Agreed, with some caveats: i) until the storage problem is resolved (cheaply) the PV share of the total will likely be limited to 5-20%, ii) add another five years for PV competition outside the sunbelt and for smaller installations.

Last edited by a moderator:
skeptic2 said:
I don't think it is the cost of solar as much as the comparative cost with regards to fossil fuels. It may be that it's not the reduction in the cost of solar as much as the increase in cost of fossil fuels that causes the tipping point. If the oil and solar subsidies were both eliminated we could have an honest competition between the two.
But oil is not competition with solar PV, coal and natural gas are. I doubt very much if we see an increase in their prices given flat electrical demand in the US and shale gas production, absent price premiums forced by the government via regulation.

1. What is Nextgen SSOlar?

Nextgen SSOlar is a solar energy technology that utilizes the latest advancements in solar power to increase efficiency and reduce costs. It incorporates technologies such as advanced solar panels, energy storage systems, and smart grid integration to optimize energy production.

2. How does Nextgen SSOlar improve efficiency?

Nextgen SSOlar uses advanced solar panels with higher conversion rates to capture more energy from the sun. It also utilizes energy storage systems to store excess energy for later use, reducing wastage. Additionally, the integration with smart grids allows for better management and distribution of energy, further increasing efficiency.

3. What is broadcast power in relation to Nextgen SSOlar?

Broadcast power refers to the ability of Nextgen SSOlar to distribute energy wirelessly. This means that instead of being limited to powering individual buildings or devices, Nextgen SSOlar can broadcast energy to a wider area, making it more accessible and efficient.

4. How is Nextgen SSOlar different from traditional solar energy?

Nextgen SSOlar differs from traditional solar energy in several ways. Firstly, it utilizes advanced technology to increase efficiency and reduce costs. Secondly, it incorporates energy storage and smart grid integration to optimize energy production. Lastly, it has the ability to broadcast power wirelessly, making it more accessible and efficient.

5. What are the potential benefits of adopting Nextgen SSOlar?

The adoption of Nextgen SSOlar can bring numerous benefits, including reduced energy costs, increased energy efficiency, and a more sustainable and environmentally friendly energy source. It can also help reduce our dependence on traditional fossil fuels and contribute to the fight against climate change.