Nicest things to do is finding a butterfly

• Thread starter Andre
  • Start date
In summary: I like the collection of the butterfly pictures, very nice.I am thinking about visiting the butterfly conservatory in my city, it's supposed to be one of the largest in the world. I will have to check it out and take some pictures to share with you all.In summary, the conversation revolved around the topic of butterfly photography and experiences with butterflies in various locations. The participants shared tips and suggestions for capturing the best shots and discussed their own memories of catching butterflies in their youth. They also shared photos of different butterfly species and talked about the different backgrounds and settings in which they were taken. The conversation ended with plans to visit a butterfly conservatory and share more photos in the future.

Thanks ~Christina~, that reminds me, I need to visit the greenhouses of the botanical garden of the Univerrsity of Utrecht soon. They have a tropical butterfly exhibition this season.

Hmm the English version doesn't seem to work but there are online translators.

And I would not bother about a butterfly collection. A butterfly picture collection is much better.

Physics news on Phys.org

Andre said:
Thanks ~Christina~, that reminds me, I need to visit the greenhouses of the botanical garden of the Univerrsity of Utrecht soon. They have a tropical butterfly exhibition this season.
Ooh you have to try to get a sequence of flight shots again. :smile: The variety of butterflies that you have taken pictures of is more than what there is available around here. :frown: (I speak of conservatories and not of native species)

And I would not bother about a butterfly collection. A butterfly picture collection is much better.
I agree that a photo collection is better but it's easier when you have a macro lens at your disposal.

~christina~ said:
Ooh you have to try to get a sequence of flight shots again. :smile: The variety of butterflies that you have taken pictures of is more than what there is available around here. :frown: (I speak of conservatories and not of native species)

Yes I'm am aiming for that but after the heat wave

I agree that a photo collection is better but it's easier when you have a macro lens at your disposal.

True, but it's not the only one. If you put a +1 dioptry close up lens on a moderate telelens (100-200mm for instance), you can surprise yourself already.

Also right here you can hire photographic equipment for a day or so, so you could check out the possibilities of all kind of lenses.

[PLAIN]http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/7408/dsc0831vk.jpg

[PLAIN]http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/6605/dsc0063yp.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Sorry I missed that ~christina~ that's certainly a good start. These look very small, don't they?

Andre said:
Sorry I missed that ~christina~ that's certainly a good start. These look very small, don't they?

The pictures you mean? I could post larger shots of them. It is much more difficult to take pictures of small insects when you use a 300mm lens. :tongue:

300mm? a prime or a basic 70-300mm zoom? Yes 300mm is not very useable, but try to put on such a thing:

5obech.jpg

+1 and +2 are probably the most useable and if you have a zoom, mid range ~100 to 150 may work better, it also gives you the "sweet spot" of the lens (honi soit qui mal y pense) combined with an aperture Av ~ 11. Also not sure if the VR (if available) works correctly with close up lenses, you may have to turn that off. Also use flash to get a sufficient short shutter speed because things move around a lot.

Found another butterfly greenhouse. A few of today's captures:

neix61.jpg

66yyo3.jpg

dr9pnc.jpg

vrudyp.jpg

zuo9ro.jpg

2dl7xuo.jpg

30rtqm9.jpg

WOW :!) those are spectacular, Andre!

Andre said:
30rtqm9.jpg

Is it my eyes or are the wings transparent?! I's gorguoes! Thanks for sharing. :smile:

You're welcome, yes it's the http://www.hemmy.net/2006/04/30/glasswing-butterfly/ .

As always, Andre, I'm amazed.

:smile: Maybe a few more then,

zvs8xi.jpg

20r1g83.jpg

16ib6t4.jpg

Wonderful pictures Andre! :smile:

Here's a visitor whose picture I captured several years ago.

14kznd.jpg

Last edited:

Andre said:
300mm? a prime or a basic 70-300mm zoom? Yes 300mm is not very useable, but try to put on such a thing:

5obech.jpg

+1 and +2 are probably the most useable and if you have a zoom, mid range ~100 to 150 may work better, it also gives you the "sweet spot" of the lens (honi soit qui mal y pense) combined with an aperture Av ~ 11. Also not sure if the VR (if available) works correctly with close up lenses, you may have to turn that off. Also use flash to get a sufficient short shutter speed because things move around a lot.

There are very few lens attachments available at the stores that I usually frequent. It's sad. I purchased a circular polarizer and was not impressed with the result. The focus and sharpness of the images produced were of low quality.

Why doesn't VR work with the close up lenses?

close ups of the pictures I posted before:

[PLAIN]http://img841.imageshack.us/img841/6120/dsc0063cr.jpg
[PLAIN]http://img841.imageshack.us/img841/5982/dsc0831cr.jpg

I could see some of these as wall hangings Andre. Such crisp bright colors. Lovely.

I <3 this thread!

HeLiXe said:
I <3 this thread!

I have never understood this icon.

I always think it looks like an a**-hat.

:rofl: Well at least it looks like something to you...when I first saw it, all I thought was "less than three":tongue2: Maybe it would be a better emoticon for *$%hat than a heart...

Butterflies <3 coneflowers, as do bees and hummingbirds. The bush is right in back of my monitor so I can peek out from time to time to see who's here.

coneflowers.jpg

Nice Andy, but would that visitor be so kind and sit still for one and a half second?

I had rejected this picture as first choice at first, because it was underexposed. It's likely that the control mechanism cut off the flash early due to the overwhelming light return from the flash due to those flowers close by.

But the butterfly (~Christina~, did you identify it already?) was hovering as can be seen from the folded legs and yet it was quite crisp, so I decided to unreject it and do some RAW post processing, to get rid of the noise due to the underexposure.

This is the full shot

11hz48x.jpg

and a 50% crop (showing the noise too)

24fd9tw.jpg

Beautiful.

Beautiful butterflies and bees, indeed!

Andre said:
Nice Andy, but would that visitor be so kind and sit still for one and a half second?

I had rejected this picture as first choice at first, because it was underexposed. It's likely that the control mechanism cut off the flash early due to the overwhelming light return from the flash due to those flowers close by.

But the butterfly (~Christina~, did you identify it already?) was hovering as can be seen from the folded legs and yet it was quite crisp, so I decided to unreject it and do some RAW post processing, to get rid of the noise due to the underexposure.

Nice photo- excellent sharpness as well; what lens are you using?

Yes, the bee not only sat still for 1.5 seconds (not to mention the lack of a breeze), but didn't mind me sticking the camera in its face... I should probably get a flash...

Andy Resnick said:
Nice photo- excellent sharpness as well; what lens are you using?

All the butterfly pix of these last two weeks that I posted here were make with a Canon EOS 550D and a EF 100mm Macro f2.8 USM

Obviously hand held, and mandatory small aperture (f11-16) and short shutter speed (1/200s) you could either choose for ISO 12,800 and get pea soup noise texture or add a flash and shoot crisp with 100 ISO.

Excellent... "Canon's most fun per dollar lens" :)

yes, absolutely, it is.

Here's some competition for Andy in the notabutterfly category. I told you that coneflowers attract butterflies, bees, and hummingbirds... :tongue:

(Fibonacci sequence, anybody?)

beecone.jpg

Last edited:

To illustrate that, here is a life size crop of that Morpho menelaus that I posted earlier in this thread:

15pjv2b.jpg

Andre said:
Found another butterfly greenhouse. A few of today's captures:

vrudyp.jpg

turbo-1 said:
Here's some competition for Andy in the notabutterfly category. I told you that coneflowers attract butterflies, bees, and hummingbirds... :tongue:

Andre said:
To illustrate that, here is a life size crop of that that I posted earlier in this thread:

I'm seeing the advantages of a flash.

No flash in my case, Andy. Just a little Panasonic point-and-shoot in Macro AF mode. I love that little pocket camera.

turbo-1 said:

@_@ Oooooooooooooh pretty!

HeLiXe said:
@_@ Oooooooooooooh pretty!
Thanks! Snapshot with a little DMC-ZS3 in macro mode. I'd love to have a Canon 100mm macro (fun!), but for now, I'm getting by with what I've got.

turbo-1 said:
Thanks! Snapshot with a little DMC-ZS3 in macro mode. I'd love to have a Canon 100mm macro (fun!), but for now, I'm getting by with what I've got.

I'm really impressed! Just shows I need to work on my technique... :)