Nicest things to do is finding a butterfly

• Thread starter Andre
  • Start date
In summary: I like the collection of the butterfly pictures, very nice.I am thinking about visiting the butterfly conservatory in my city, it's supposed to be one of the largest in the world. I will have to check it out and take some pictures to share with you all.In summary, the conversation revolved around the topic of butterfly photography and experiences with butterflies in various locations. The participants shared tips and suggestions for capturing the best shots and discussed their own memories of catching butterflies in their youth. They also shared photos of different butterfly species and talked about the different backgrounds and settings in which they were taken. The conversation ended with plans to visit a butterfly conservatory and share more photos in the future.
Andre
One of the nicest things to do is finding a butterfly greenhouse and capture the billboard colored creatures. Found these yesterday(most decreased to about 25% size from the original).

103zb5j.jpg

vxnmux.jpg

23w4681.jpg

1oqczl.jpg

153y15c.jpg

2v1lvk9.jpg

ouwmmb.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Very nice shots, Andre. What's a butterfly greenhouse?

We had one come visit us this weekend at the campground.
The girls thought he was a bit drab, so they tried to bling him up.

ocf2009butterflyatcamp.jpg

Or perhaps they were just trying to demonstrate the translucence of his wings.

Somebody has been to Mainau, again... :tongue:

berkeman said:
Very nice shots, Andre. What's a butterfly greenhouse?

You have never been to a butterfly conservatory? It's way a cool way to spend an hour or two in an afternoon.

Here's a bit of flash that shows one off nicely:
http://www.wingsofparadise.com/"

Usually it's an acre or so of enclosed very humid greenhouse with palm trees and winding paths that go up into the canopy and such. Everywhere you turn there are thosuands of butterflies. They land all over you.

butterfly conservatory, good name. Well since it's in a greenhouse with butterflies, a more down-to-earth term seems to impose itselfs. Hope that explains it, berkeman.

Anyway, Turbo, it's not Mainau. I'm no longer in South Germany. It's this one in Luttelgeest, brand new in a part of that "jungle".

Some more:

Bit of a close close up:

2e0u4bo.jpg

the full image:

2ilk26g.jpg

Note the tiny yellow eggs

jzzwy.jpg

okpksp.jpg

OmCheeto said:
ocf2009butterflyatcamp.jpg

Mus be a cousin of european Parnassus apollo - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_(butterfly [Broken])

Congrats on the new shooting opportunity Andre!

Wow, those are beautiful shots!

Andre, those are beautiful!

I like seeing the butterfly naturally on the flowers.

A couple minor suggestions, you might try using an increased shutter speed to cut down on motion blur, and slightly increasing the f-number so that back wings and front wings can both be in complete focus, while still isolating from the background.

junglebeast said:
A couple minor suggestions, you might try using an increased shutter speed to cut down on motion blur, and slightly increasing the f-number so that back wings and front wings can both be in complete focus, while still isolating from the background.

First - I can assure you he knows that :smile:

Second - this is not as easy as it may look. I don't know what were parameters of Andre shots, but I know how I took my butterfly pictures that you can locate in wildlife thread. ISO 1600, shutter speed 1/800 sec, aperture 18 - there is not much room for improvement.

Ok, these photos are not taken by me, but are of some of those Norwegian butterflies I like best:
Vanessa_cardui_tistelsommerfugl1.jpg

(Vanessa cardui)
http://www.okokrim.no/www/okokrim/home.nsf/bilder/sommerfugl.jpg/$FILE/sommerfugl.jpg [Broken]
(Vanessa atalanta)
I_io.JPG

(Nymphalis Io)
3165_DSCN2321.jpg

(Papilio machaon)
Liten%20bloddr%C3%A5pesvermer%20Zygaena%20viciae3.JPG

(Zygaena viciae)

I used to catch butterflies and moths in my early years.

Attachments

• Vanessa_cardui_tistelsommerfugl1.jpg
    Vanessa_cardui_tistelsommerfugl1.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 396

arildno said:
I used to catch butterflies and moths in my early years.

motyle.jpg

Background is what counts in this picture :wink:

Beautiful pictures :)

I thought this thread is by some girl about butterflies when I looked at the title.

Well, perhaps we can repost here all butterfly pictures posted earlier in wildlife thread?

Borek said:

As kids, my siblings and I compiled a fairly impressive beetle, butterfly and moth collection too... until some other bugs got to eating it! But I think my brother's spider-collection (in test-tubes of rubbing alcohol) still exists. What memories. Glad the camera exists now. When she's old enough, I'll have to get my kiddo catching pictures... rather than the real thing!

Borek said:
motyle.jpg

The front wasn't bad, either. :smile:

arildno said:
The front wasn't bad, either.

Really? Must be light playing some tricks.

Borek said:
motyle.jpg

How do you train them to stay all lined up like that? Is it feeding time?

DaveC426913 said:
How do you train them to stay all lined up like that? Is it feeding time?

Quite militant, aren't they?

what a lovely insects!:smile:

crazzycat said:
what a lovely insects!:smile:

Hey! He's a human being. With feelings. No matter how lovely.

If it's "lovely insects" wouldn't it be "Hey! he are a human beings"? :tongue:

Okay, some more oldies, from Mainau this time.

2icbrk3.jpg

rblk55.jpg

2hf48sy.jpg

30u7kpg.jpg

16a8z0n.jpg

Didn't know that monarchs liked orchids.

I realize the topic is butterflies and not moths, but I saw one of these the other day.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d1/Giant_leopard_moth_20050612_173823_1.1300x1210.jpg" [Broken]

You'll see monarchs on all kinds of flowers, Andre. They lay eggs on milkweed as an adaptation that allows their caterpillars to eat that plant and accumulate toxins that protect the caterpillars and the resultant adults from birds.

Andre said:
30u7kpg.jpg

The transparent wings on these are amazing.

No tropical butterflies here, so we have to deal with whatever we can find in the field and around the house:

Adscita_statices.jpg

Aglais_articae.jpg

Anthocharis_cardamines.JPG

Araschnia_levana_.jpg

Argynnis_paphia.jpg

Cabera_pusaria.jpg

Carcharodus_alceae.jpg

Colias_hyale.jpg

Endromis_versicolora_.jpg

Gonepteryx_rhamni.jpg

Inachis_io_.jpg

Laothe_populi.jpg

Lycaena_dispar.jpg

Melangaria_galathea.jpg

Melitaea_diamina_.jpg

Papilio_machaon.jpg

Polygonia_c-album_.jpg

Polymatus_bellargus_.jpg

Timandra_comae.jpg

Vanessa_cardui_.jpg

Zygaena_filipendulae.jpg

Zygaena_minos.jpg

Latin names - in file names. Pictures marked with asterisk taken by Marzena. That's not all, but others are not necesarilly worth of showing.

Nice variety, Borek.

Time for an update.

I was lucky to catch a dancing butterfly and a spectator. A substantial wow-factor for me. All pix crops on 25% size in sequence of about one per second to keep the flash loaded.

140eko7.jpg

5205ky.jpg

a0zaf4.jpg

15x947p.jpg

2jdf955.jpg

6jg7mg.jpg

I love love love monarch butterflies! A few years ago I had one land on my finger for about 30 seconds, it was a magical feeling. Here is a photo of a butterfly shot my husband took at the zoo here in Oregon. (I cannot attach photos all that well!)

Attachments

• ZOO2005-6.jpg
    ZOO2005-6.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 393

Borek said:
motyle.jpg

Borek, is that an urn in the background?

No.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samovar

Not that we ever used it. Still, a nice one, made in the city of Tula. As far as I know my Dad had some rare sabre that he lent to one of his friends - when the sabre got lost, he got the samovar as a satisfaction for a lost item.

wow,so nice shot

Andre, the butterfly flight shots are amazing! The third one is the best.

Borek, the variety of the butterflies in th epictures you have taken are very nice. In addition, the butterfly collection you have in the backround of the picture is quite large. My collection pales in comparison. :frown:

<h2>1. What is the purpose of finding a butterfly?</h2><p>The purpose of finding a butterfly is to observe and appreciate its beauty and to learn more about its behavior and role in the ecosystem.</p><h2>2. How can finding a butterfly benefit the environment?</h2><p>Finding a butterfly can benefit the environment by providing information about its habitat and the health of its population. It can also help with conservation efforts and understanding the impact of environmental changes on butterfly populations.</p><h2>3. What are some methods for finding a butterfly?</h2><p>Some methods for finding a butterfly include walking through natural areas and observing flowers and plants that attract butterflies, using a butterfly net to catch and release them, and setting up a butterfly garden or feeder to attract them.</p><h2>4. Is it important to handle butterflies carefully when finding them?</h2><p>Yes, it is important to handle butterflies carefully when finding them. They are delicate creatures and can be harmed if handled roughly. It is best to observe them from a distance or use a net to gently catch and release them.</p><h2>5. How can finding a butterfly contribute to scientific research?</h2><p>Finding a butterfly can contribute to scientific research by providing data on their behavior, migration patterns, and population trends. This information can help scientists better understand and protect butterfly species.</p>

1. What is the purpose of finding a butterfly?

The purpose of finding a butterfly is to observe and appreciate its beauty and to learn more about its behavior and role in the ecosystem.

2. How can finding a butterfly benefit the environment?

Finding a butterfly can benefit the environment by providing information about its habitat and the health of its population. It can also help with conservation efforts and understanding the impact of environmental changes on butterfly populations.

3. What are some methods for finding a butterfly?

Some methods for finding a butterfly include walking through natural areas and observing flowers and plants that attract butterflies, using a butterfly net to catch and release them, and setting up a butterfly garden or feeder to attract them.

4. Is it important to handle butterflies carefully when finding them?

Yes, it is important to handle butterflies carefully when finding them. They are delicate creatures and can be harmed if handled roughly. It is best to observe them from a distance or use a net to gently catch and release them.

5. How can finding a butterfly contribute to scientific research?

Finding a butterfly can contribute to scientific research by providing data on their behavior, migration patterns, and population trends. This information can help scientists better understand and protect butterfly species.