Nickel-penny composition for voltaic cell

In summary, the conversation is about organizing pennies based on their composition and using them for a voltaic cell project. The question at hand is whether to use 95% Copper pennies or 97.5% Zinc pennies along with 55% Copper Nickels for the highest voltage. The individual also asks for recommendations for a non-odorous electrolyte. They mention using zinc pennies and copper nickels for their project, but it is unclear if they are using electroplating and what their procedure is. They also ask about the legality of stripping the covering off of the zinc pennies.
BuddyPal
I was organizing pennies into categories based on what they were composed of; before 1982 (I believe) pennies were made out of 95% Cu, and after they were made primarily out of zinc. I thought that the ideal penny for a voltaic cell would use a Copper penny, and a Nickel. However, I found that the composition of Nickels is 55% Cu. I care a lot more for this specific project because my physics class has turned it into a competition for highest voltage. I would test these metals myself but I do not own a voltmeter. =(

Specifically my question is; should I use 95% Copper pennies along with 55% Copper Nickels, or should I use 97.5% Zinc pennies along with 55% Copper Nickels for the highest voltage? Or better yet, are there other cheap and easily found metals that work better than these?

P.S. What kind of liquid (preferably non-odorous) should I use as an electrolyte?

P.S.S. My impression is to use zinc pennies and copper nickels, mostly because they are the most different, if this is the case, should I strip the covering off of the Zinc pennies? -unless that's illegal of course-

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Your question is unclear. It sounds like you are using electroplating. But weight or resistance are much simpler ways to sort pennies.

What is your procedure? What do you mean by max voltage?

1. What is the composition of a nickel-penny voltaic cell?

The composition of a nickel-penny voltaic cell is a nickel anode and a copper-coated zinc cathode. The anode is made of pure nickel metal while the cathode is a penny that has been coated in a thin layer of copper.

2. How does the composition of a nickel-penny voltaic cell affect its performance?

The composition of a nickel-penny voltaic cell plays a crucial role in its performance. The nickel anode and copper-coated zinc cathode create a chemical reaction that produces electricity, making it a vital part of the cell's functionality.

3. Is the composition of a nickel-penny voltaic cell safe for use?

Yes, the composition of a nickel-penny voltaic cell is safe for use. Nickel and copper are both commonly used metals, and the small amount of electricity produced by the cell is not harmful.

4. Are there any alternatives to the nickel-penny composition for a voltaic cell?

Yes, there are alternatives to the nickel-penny composition for a voltaic cell. Other common compositions include zinc and copper, zinc and silver, and magnesium and copper. Each composition has its own unique properties and uses.

5. How long does a nickel-penny voltaic cell typically last?

The lifespan of a nickel-penny voltaic cell varies depending on its usage and maintenance. On average, a cell can last anywhere from a few months to a few years. Regular cleaning and proper storage can help extend its lifespan.