1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Nitrates and Nitrites with FeSO4 + CH3COOH

1. Jun 9, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I know that NO3- can be separately identify using newly made FeSO4 + H2SO4 using the brown ring test.
    The problem is can we identify NO2- using newly made FeSO4 + CH3COOH??? Replacing H2SO4 with CH3COOH???

2. Relevant equations
    NO2-(aq) + FeSO4(aq) + CH3COOH(aq)[itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] [A Brown Circle]???
    or is this equation invalid???

3. The attempt at a solution
    Nothing being attempted!!! :(

Last edited: Jun 9, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 9, 2012 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

NO2- or NO3-, you are inconsistent.

If NO3- try to find out what is the reaction involved.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2012
  4. Jun 9, 2012 #3
    Its NO2- is the problem. I've never learn such a reaction using Acetic acid to identify NO2- and a paper says you can't but I got it from a friend who says that using Acetic acid can identify NO2-.

5. Jun 9, 2012 #4

Borek

I find it rather unlikely. While NO2- can interfere, test in general requires concentrated sulfuric acid, I doubt acetic acid is strong enough.

6. Jun 9, 2012 #5
    Yeah, I believe it too. So may I have the final conclusion as Acetic acid does nothing regarding detection of NO2-??? I've never heard such a test too!!!

7. Jun 10, 2012 #6

Borek

That's what I expect, but I have learned long to not assume everything I expect is true.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?