Come on Smurf, you've only been hunting for three weeks and you're already disheartened?
On a side note, I'm starting with AmeriCorps (the domestic Peace Corps) next week. It's not technically a job, but we do get a living stipend and a scholarship at the end of the service term. My workstudy award covers the money. Does Canada not have workstudy programs or do you just not qualify?
By the way, to the guy who got a BS in Chemistry and couldn't find work, you may have been looking in the wrong place. There were people at LACC finding employment fresh out of Analytic Chem that didn't even have associate's degrees. Not only has the chemical industry been so hot lately, but many found jobs with the city, doing water treatment or soil testing and other things. A chemistry degree is great to have for civic employment. I used to receive the ACS biweekly magazine (I forget what it was called) and they had a huge section in the back with job openings all over the place. Were you a member of ACS while you were in school? That might have helped, as they can do a lot to help place you in a job. Heck, I even found work one summer helping in a lab testing Alzheimer's treatments on rats, and I had only taken one chemistry class (it was through a program designed to get minorities research experience, though, so if you're white, you wouldn't have qualified).
The only time I've ever experienced any hardship because of unemployment was when frickin' Disneyland laid me off because DCA was doing so poorly and they decided to cut back on the entertainment department. I ended up moving to New Jersey and found work managing a chocolate shop. When I came back to SoCal I got a temp position at the LA County Museum of Natural History helping with the chocolate exhibit! Ah, chocolate. Then I went back into theme parks. It's a lot easier in the LA area, because if all else fails, the theme parks are always hiring, and they hire on the spot, interviewing you as you apply.