Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

No need for spooky action at a distance!

1. Jun 30, 2012 #1

Suppaman

Gold Member

Perhaps the term "spooky action at a distance" when referring to "quantum entanglement" is not so spooky after all if one considers the possibility that when these particles were joined they also linked to something, for want of a better name, "the fabric of space" and even if separated in our perceived universe they are always firmly connected in that other place. So when something is done to one it is instantaneously felt by the other. Therefore, no spooky action at a distance is necessary. If this has been discussed here on PF please direct me to the appropriate conversations.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 30, 2012 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Your argument is not in accordance with known physics. It IS "spooky action at a distance".

Do a forum search for entanglement.

4. Jun 30, 2012 #3

Suppaman

Gold Member

And "spooky action at a distance" is not in accordance with known physics, correct? I do believe that it has been demonstrated but not explained with proof. What I am looking for is others who may share my concept. Had to start with something here and by your suggestion I will search for entanglement. Thank you.

5. Jun 30, 2012 #4
    Frank Wilczek got a nobel physics prize for investigating your very question.

He did not come up with incontrovertible proof but made significant progress in the subject.

He has written several acessible books and produced some entertaining and informative video lectures, available online.

6. Jun 30, 2012 #5

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Don't you think it would be far more profitable, intellectually, to find others who share a CORRECT concept? What good does it do you to find others that share your concept if you are wrong? I'm not saying you ARE wrong ... I see that as beside the point as far as what I am saying here. It just seems that you are looking for confirmation of your idea, whether it is right or not. Perhaps I misinterpret you.

7. Jun 30, 2012 #6
    Every idea meets 1 of 3 ends...

1. The idea produces predictions which conflict with experiment, and is discarded or modified.

2. The idea makes no predictions which can be tested.

3. The idea is never disproved, but falls out of favor when replaced by a newer, more elegant theory, which makes the same predictions.

I think the OP is just looking for someone who has followed this idea to one of its 3 ends or is at least further along then he is. Why spend time exploring an idea someone else has already explored when you can find that person, get their map, and explore new territory.

8. Jun 30, 2012 #7

Suppaman

Gold Member

Sometimes the solution to a problem is the simplest answer, remember Ockham's razor? If others share my opinion they may have developed insights that will allow evaluation of the concept. I am not one who shares the many skills necessary to prove or even evaluate my ideas but I try to search for solutions that make sense for me. If I am so far off base that my ideas are nonsense I will willingly accept such an opinion but if my ideas have merit, based on just common sense then perhaps others have traveled the same path and with much more technical skill.

9. Jun 30, 2012 #8
    I'm guessing something analogous to this model (see Figure 1) is what you're suggesting?
    A potentiality and conceptuality interpretation of Quantum Mechanics
    http://logica.ugent.be/philosophica/fulltexts/83-2.pdf

Gisin points other possibilities here:
    Are There Quantum Effects Coming from Outside Space-time? Nonlocality, free will and "no many-worlds"
    http://lanl.arxiv.org/pdf/1011.3440.pdf

Last edited: Jul 1, 2012
  10. Jun 30, 2012 #9
    OP's idea may not be too far-fetched.
    Thanks for the links, Bohm, but where is Figure 1?

Only a mentally blind person may think this is the only reality the universe can offer.

11. Jul 1, 2012 #10

Quantum Connectivity of Space-Time and Gravitationally Induced De-correlation of
    Entanglement
    http://arxiv.org/pdf/0809.1907v1.pdf
    http://pra.aps.org/abstract/PRA/v79/i2/e022121

Building up spacetime with quantum entanglement
    http://arxiv.org/pdf/1005.3035v1.pdf

but i will like to see an afterward change of one spin to see the change of the other entangled spin again.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2012
  12. Jul 1, 2012 #11

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

So, there's an alternate plane of existence that we can't observe but nonetheless affects our real world. That seems even spookier than spooky action at a distance.

13. Jul 1, 2012 #12

Suppaman

Gold Member

I have found through many years of troubleshooting both hardware and software that an effective process was to make an assumption what the "problem" was and then proceed to prove it or disprove it. Many times the assumption was not correct but in the process of trying to prove it I found other symptoms that lead me to a solution. That is what I did here, an assumed explanation for this "spooky" action. Now I think about how this explanation can be proven or disproven or even show other interesting, perhaps testable, phenomena. All this does is lead to a better understanding and chases the "spooky" critters to find some other mind in which to sow doubts.

14. Jul 1, 2012 #13

Additinal elements of reality(hidden variables theories) have been proposed multiple times in the past. This isn't anything ground-breaking or novel.

15. Jul 1, 2012 #14
    I don't think the OP was entertaining the idea of adding hidden variables.

16. Jul 1, 2012 #15

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Since I don't think even the OP really knows just what he is proposing, I don't see how you can make that assertion. The OP's method, by his own statement, is "let's just make up something and see what it leads to" without being specific about WHAT he is making up.

"Frimly connected in that other place" is not even metaphysics, it's just blather.

17. Jul 1, 2012 #16

Suppaman

Gold Member

I am sorry, have I offended this forum by my posts?

18. Jul 1, 2012 #17

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

But he was, however, quite clear on what he wants- he wants to find people who will agree with him no matter what he proposes.

19. Jul 1, 2012 #18

Hidden variable theories posit that qm does not give a complete description of the system(s) and there are hidden elements of reality affecting quantum behavior, hence qm isn't complete in its descriptions. He's proposing the same and i think he might be correct that qm is incomplete but for different reasons. As somebody already said, without a testable prediction i could come up with at least 10 000 different propositions and ideas. Pure philosophy doesn't appear to have many similarities with physics.

20. Jul 1, 2012 #19

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

The forum? I doubt it. I just personally don't like the approach of let's throw out some meaningless words and see if anybody bites.

As Hurkyl pointed out, what you are proposing, to eliminate "spooky action at a distance" is even MORE spooky and as far as I can see has no basis in physics.

But I'm just a cranky old fart, so don't mind me.

21. Jul 1, 2012 #20

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Yeah, that's what I was commenting on in post #5

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook