1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

No. of possible electron transitions in hydrogen in magnetic field

1. Apr 27, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A hydrogen atom is in the n=3 state. Given that a magnetic field is present, how many photons of different energy can we observe when the atom de-excites to the ground state?

2. Relevant equations
    quantum number, angular momentum quantum number, orbital magnetic quantum number

3. The attempt at a solution
    So far, I am aware in the absence of a magnetic field, there should be three possible transitions: n=3 to n=2, n=3 to n=1, and n=2 to n=1. I know that a magnetic field will cause there to be orbital magnetic quantum number. However, may I know whether electrons in the same n-state but with different angular momentum quantum number and orbital magnetic quantum number have different energy levels? For example, are energy levels of electron in the state: [n=3, l=2, m[itex]_{l}[/itex]=1] different from [n=3, l=2, m[itex]_{l}[/itex]=-1]?

Last edited: Apr 27, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 27, 2014 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Welcome to PF;
    Magnetic fields interact with the electron angular momenta ... thus splitting the energy levels.
    So yes - each angular momentum state now has a unique energy where before you had degenerate states.
    The question is basically testing your knowledge of this ...

Look up "splitting" and "hyperfine splitting".
    But what I think you really want is "Zeeman Effect".
    http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/quantum/zeeman.html

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted