No Potential Energy due to Sphere of Mass?

In summary: I know that continuous charges do not literally exist. But if I take a trillions of electrons and put them together, would it not have a net charge that is numerically...continuous?I'm not sure what you are asking. Are you saying that if I take a trillion electrons and put them together, the net charge would be continuous?I'm not sure what you are asking. Are you saying that if I take a trillion electrons and put them together, the net charge would be continuous?Yes, the net charge would be continuous as long as you are talking about classical electrostatics.Yes, the net charge would be continuous as long as you are talking about classical electrostatics.
FallenApple
So we all know that it takes work to build up a sphere of charge by taking charge from infinity and piling it up into a sphere. Since the sphere wants to break apart under repulsion, its like a spring. It has intrinsic potential energy.However it doesn't seem the case with a sphere of mass, with no charge. It takes energy to disassemble it. But no energy to build it, since it happens naturally under gravity.

What does this all mean? Does this mean that in the classical sense, constructs of mass has no energy?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
FallenApple said:
So we all know that it takes work to build up a sphere of charge by taking charge from infinity and piling it up into a sphere. Since the sphere wants to break apart under repulsion, its like a spring. It has intrinsic potential energy.However it doesn't seem the case with a sphere of mass, with no charge. It takes energy to disassemble it. But no energy to build it, since it happens naturally under gravity.

What does this all mean? Does this mean that in the classical sense, mass itself has no energy?

Masses only attract, there is no repulsion in Gravity.

lychette said:
Masses only attract, there is no repulsion in Gravity.
Does that explain why clumps of masses exists and clumps of charge doesn't?

FallenApple said:
Does that explain why clumps of masses exists and clumps of charge doesn't?
No

But masses will clump up naturally due to gravity. Solid electric spheres of same charges needs external something to stablize it. But mass doesn't.

FallenApple said:
But masses will clump up naturally due to gravity. Solid electric spheres of same charges needs external something to stablize it. But mass doesn't.

What is the diameter of your 'solid' sheers?

lychette said:
What is the diameter of your 'solid' sheers?
Lets just say large enough so that you don't have to go quantum or relativistic.

FallenApple said:
Lets just say large enough so that you don't have to go quantum or relativistic.

Mmmm...you are describing where not to go...what about 100mm diameter. Have you come across such a solid electric charge?

lychette said:
Mmmm...you are describing where not to go...what about 100mm diameter. Have you come across such a solid electric charge?

No i have not.

FallenApple said:
No i have not.

Well I have a 100mm diameter hemisphere in front of me that needs charging.

lychette said:
Well I have a 100mm diameter hemisphere in front of me that needs charging.
Oh I get it. So you just need to induce a potential difference and clumps of charge will form in a conductor. And this can occur naturally.

Is the energy put into create the potential difference form a clump of charge Q a conductor the same as the potential energy of a solid continuous sphere of charge Q?

FallenApple said:
Oh I get it. So you just need to induce a potential difference and clumps of charge will form in a conductor. And this can occur naturally.

Is the energy put into create the potential difference form a clump of charge Q a conductor the same as the potential energy of a solid continuous sphere of charge Q?

My hemisphere relies on gravitational potential difference to form a clump.
What do you mean by a 'continuous' sphere of charge?... Charge consists (as far as I know) of discrete entities (1.6x 10^-19)... Not a continuum.

lychette said:
My hemisphere relies on gravitational potential difference to form a clump.
What do you mean by a 'continuous' sphere of charge?... Charge consists (as far as I know) of discrete entities (1.6x 10^-19)... Not a continuum.
I'm talking about classical electrostatics where there can be charges that are continuous. Besides, aren't electrons so small that they can be considered as differentials? e.g dq.

FallenApple said:
I'm talking about classical electrostatics where there can be charges that continuous. Besides, aren't electrons so small that they can be considered as differentials? e.g dq.

You are confused about discrete and continuous ! Earlier you refer to 'clumps' of charge in my hemispherical Container And now you are using classical ideas to refer to continuous Charges. You cannot mix up 'discrete' (quantum) ideas with 'continuous' (classical) ideas easily.
'Differentials' are a mathematical idea as are 'integrals'
FallenApple said:
I'm talking about classical electrostatics where there can be charges that are continuous. Besides, aren't electrons so small that they can be considered as differentials? e.g dq.
FallenApple said:

lychette said:
You are confused about discrete and continuous ! Earlier you refer to 'clumps' of charge in my hemispherical Container And now you are using classical ideas to refer to continuous Charges. You cannot mix up 'discrete' (quantum) ideas with 'continuous' (classical) ideas easily.
'Differentials' are a mathematical idea as are 'integrals'
I know that continuous charges do not literally exist. But if I take a trillions of electrons and put them together, would it not have a net charge that is numerically similar to one that is evaluated with integrals?

FallenApple said:
I know that continuous charges do not literally exist. But if I take a trillions of electrons and put them together, would it not have a net charge that is numerically similar to one that is evaluated with integrals?

You have forgotten your original question.
The answer I gave is that masses do not repel...has your original question been answered? How will your current question help you get to grips with your original question?... Are you any wiser?

FallenApple said:
It takes energy to disassemble it. But no energy to build it, since it happens naturally under gravity.
Energy is released during the process (exactly the same amount it would take to disassemble it later). For example a third of the heat coming out from Earth core is primordial heat left over from the times of Earth formation. This is also how stars ignite.
Objects closer to the gravitating mass have less potential energy that those further away. By convention potential energy is assumed to be 0 for objects 'at infinity'. This makes gravitation potential energy negative everywhere. Thus the notion of gravity well we live in.
But for practical purposes you can place the origin anywhere you like.You you set 0 to be at sea level, objects above it will have positive energy, below it - negative.

1. What is "No Potential Energy due to Sphere of Mass?"

"No Potential Energy due to Sphere of Mass" refers to the concept that a spherical object with mass does not possess any potential energy. This is because potential energy is dependent on the position of an object relative to a reference point, and for a spherical object, the center of mass is the reference point and thus there is no change in position to create potential energy.

2. How is this concept relevant in the field of physics?

This concept is relevant in the field of physics because it helps us understand the principles of potential energy and how it is affected by the shape and mass of an object. It also allows us to accurately calculate potential energy in various scenarios, such as in gravitational potential energy calculations.

3. Is there ever a situation where a spherical object with mass can have potential energy?

Yes, there are situations where a spherical object with mass can have potential energy. This can occur if the object is not perfectly spherical, such as if it has an uneven distribution of mass or is rotating. In these cases, the center of mass is not the reference point and potential energy can be present.

4. How does the concept of "No Potential Energy due to Sphere of Mass" relate to the conservation of energy?

The concept of "No Potential Energy due to Sphere of Mass" is related to the conservation of energy because it is a specific example of how energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be transferred or converted. In this case, the potential energy of a spherical object is 0, and this energy is instead present in the form of the object's kinetic energy or other forms of energy.

5. Can this concept be applied to all spherical objects regardless of their mass?

Yes, this concept can be applied to all spherical objects regardless of their mass. As long as the object is perfectly spherical, the center of mass will always be the reference point and thus no potential energy will be present. However, as mentioned in question 3, if the object is not perfectly spherical, this concept may not apply and potential energy may be present.