Has Time Changed? Memories of Time Passing

• Thread starter Loren Booda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Time
In summary, the speakers discuss their perception of time and how it seems to have changed for them. One person shares that time feels slower, with events from the past feeling like they happened just a few months ago. They attribute this to their ADD and head injuries, which have affected their sense of time. Another person mentions that time seems to pass by faster as they age, with a 292% increase in pace over their lifetime. They also mention that time is relative and can feel shorter or longer depending on the situation. Some humorous comments are made about sitting on a pretty girl's lap and how that affects one's perception of time.

How has the passage of time seemed to have changed over the years?

• Decreased 200%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Decreased 100%

• Decreased 50%

• Stayed the same

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Increased 50%

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Increased 100%

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Increased 200%

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Can't tell

Votes: 2 22.2%

• Total voters
Loren Booda
In your memory, how has time seemed to have changed - slower or faster?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
As far as my mind is now concerned, everything happened two months ago. Okay, everything that's happened in, say, the past four years. That happened two months ago. Everything that's happened in the past ten years, happened two years ago.

I'm not kidding.

I voted in the last category, because I'm not even vaguely normal in this regard.
I don't know how much of this is because of my ADD, and how much is because of a couple of serious head injuries that I sustained as a child.
(When I was a couple of months old, my aunt dropped me on the concrete steps. Poor girl thought that she'd killed me, but I got through it fine. Seven years later, I got stranded in the loft of the same aunt's barn. I'm terrified of heights, but climbed the ladder up from the ground floor. No way in the world could I get near that same ladder to climb down. My cousins (and I agreed with them) figured that the proper thing to do was build a huge pile of hay on the ground floor, which I could jump into. The problem was that they built it right under the edge of the half-loft and expected me to just step off. I took a running jump and missed the damned hay by about a metre. Flat on my back on a concrete slab from 4 metres high. That was the second time that my aunt thought that I was dead. I'm not sure how long I was unconscious, but I again survived.)
In any event, I have never had any sense of time. Something that happened 40 years ago feels like yesterday, and stuff that I did today could have been last year.
Even given that, though, I find that time seems to pass faster the older I get. By that standard, of course, Ivan and Integral are in stasis. :biggrin:

I voted 200%, but that's actually incorrect. The pace of time has increased 292% over the course of my life. The pace of time had actually increased 100% by time I was 7.4 years old and by 200% by time I was 20 years old.

Of course, part of the problem is that you didn't set a baseline age to compare to. The pace of time has increased about 100% from the time I was 7 years old.

I didn't vote. Does increased mean time moves more quickly, or is it the other way around?
Benjamin Franklin said:
A child thinks 20 shillings and 20 years can scarce ever be spent.

It seems like a month passes by in a week these days, so that's 33.33%

And an hour feels like a couple of minutes ..

For me one second seem to be much quicker than before. I remember counting seconds was really boring and the intervals was quite long, but now they pass much quicker.

Of course, everything is relative. As Einstein said, 10 minutes sitting on a pretty girl's lap is a lot shorter than 10 minutes sitting on a hot stove. (Not an exact quote, but that's the gist of it.)

Danger said:
Of course, everything is relative. As Einstein said, 10 minutes sitting on a pretty girl's lap is a lot shorter than 10 minutes sitting on a hot stove. (Not an exact quote, but that's the gist of it.)

Why would you sit on the girls lap, shouldn't it be the opposite?

Danger said:

Jarle said:
Why would you sit on the girls lap, shouldn't it be the opposite?

Because I think it's supposed to be a big, soft, comfy girl's lap; not a pretty girl's lap. You're right - the latter wouldn't make sense.

Would you really want to sit on such a girl? I'm not judging einstein here.

Einstein said:
Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. THAT'S relativity.
http://thinkexist.com/quotation/put_your_hand_on_a_hot_stove_for_a_minute-and_it/145963.html"

I think that from the pretty girl's point of view, you are sitting in her lap, but from your point of view, she is sitting in yours. THAT's relativity for men. Women are on their own.

Last edited by a moderator:
BobG said:
I think it's supposed to be a big, soft, comfy girl's lap

I'm just paraphrasing here. I don't know what sort of girl Einstein considered pretty.
Personally, a nice slim one perched on my lap would be ideal... preferably with nudity involved.

FAQ: Has Time Changed? Memories of Time Passing

1. What is the concept of "Has Time Changed? Memories of Time Passing"?

"Has Time Changed? Memories of Time Passing" refers to the idea that our perception of time passing may be influenced by our memories and experiences.

2. How do our memories affect our perception of time passing?

Our memories can influence our perception of time passing by either speeding up or slowing down our sense of time. Positive memories tend to make time feel like it flew by, while negative memories can make time feel like it dragged on.

3. Is it possible for time to actually change?

No, time itself cannot change. It is a constant and unchanging concept. However, our perception of time passing can be influenced by various factors, such as our memories, emotions, and external stimuli.

4. Can time feel like it is passing faster or slower?

Yes, our perception of time passing can vary based on our experiences and surroundings. For example, time may feel like it is passing slower when we are bored or anxious, and faster when we are engaged in an enjoyable activity.

5. How does the theory of relativity relate to the concept of "Has Time Changed? Memories of Time Passing"?

The theory of relativity suggests that time is relative and can be experienced differently by different individuals. This supports the idea that our perception of time passing can be influenced by our memories and experiences.