Nodal analysis with dependent voltage source

In summary, the homework equations state that if the applied independent source is changed, the resulting ratio of V/Is will be the same, yielding the same Rth.
TheCanadian

Homework Statement

In attached image. Just curious as to how their nodal analysis is correct.

Homework Equations

[/B]
##I_{in} = I_{out}##

The Attempt at a Solution

Solution in image.

I am just not sure how they applied nodal analysis here to find that ##I_s = \frac{12}{12} + \frac{12}{6} + \frac{12-8}{4}##. If I'm not mistaken, they are just finding V/R, correct? But isn't the voltage in ALL the resistors dependent in some way on both the 12 V source attached and also the dependent voltage source? Why does it seem like they only included the dependent voltage only on the 4-ohm resistor? Is their solution correct?

Attachments

• Photo on 2015-12-12 at 9.44 PM.jpg
    Photo on 2015-12-12 at 9.44 PM.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 435
Physics news on Phys.org
Their solution is correct. If the applied independent source were changed to another value all the currents would be affected by the change, yet the resulting ratio of V/Is would turn out the same, yielding the same Rth.

Perhaps you have some doubt about how the node equation itself was written?

gneill said:
Their solution is correct. If the applied independent source were changed to another value all the currents would be affected by the change, yet the resulting ratio of V/Is would turn out the same, yielding the same Rth.

Perhaps you have some doubt about how the node equation itself was written?

I guess I'm just not entirely understanding why the dependent voltage source is not considered in these equations for the other 2 resistors. Doesn't this voltage source affect the true voltage across the 6- and 12-ohm resistor, thus requiring this to be included when analyzing the current passing through these resistors? It seems to me that they are considering the voltage through the 6- and 12-ohm resistor to be simply 12 V, but that doesn't appear obvious to me since there is more than one voltage source in this entire circuit.

TheCanadian said:
I guess I'm just not entirely understanding why the dependent voltage source is not considered in these equations for the other 2 resistors. Doesn't this voltage source affect the true voltage across the 6- and 12-ohm resistor, thus requiring this to be included when analyzing the current passing through these resistors? It seems to me that they are considering the voltage through the 6- and 12-ohm resistor to be simply 12 V, but that doesn't appear obvious to me since there is more than one voltage source in this entire circuit.
The dependent source is not connected to the node where the 6 and 12 Ohm resistors connect; The external source is. So the external source must set their currents. Nothing can alter the potential difference imposed by a fixed voltage source and in this case the 12 V source is wired directly across those resistors.

Likes TheCanadian
gneill said:
The dependent source is not connected to the node where the 6 and 12 Ohm resistors connect; The external source is. So the external source must set their currents. Nothing can alter the potential difference imposed by a fixed voltage source and in this case the 12 V source is wired directly across those resistors.

So referencing node b as 0, that makes perfect sense! I was blind, and now I see! :P Thanks!

1. What is nodal analysis with dependent voltage source?

Nodal analysis with dependent voltage source is a circuit analysis method where the voltage at each node in a circuit is solved for using Kirchhoff's Current Law and the values of the resistors and dependent voltage source in the circuit.

2. How is nodal analysis with dependent voltage source different from nodal analysis with independent voltage source?

In nodal analysis with independent voltage source, the voltage sources in the circuit are considered to have fixed values, while in nodal analysis with dependent voltage source, the voltage sources are dependent on other elements in the circuit, such as resistors or current sources.

3. What are the steps to perform nodal analysis with dependent voltage source?

The steps to perform nodal analysis with dependent voltage source are as follows:
1. Identify all the nodes in the circuit and label them.
2. Choose a reference node and assign it a voltage of 0.
3. Write Kirchhoff's Current Law equations for each node, using the dependent voltage source as a variable.
4. Solve the resulting system of equations to find the voltage at each node.

4. Can nodal analysis with dependent voltage source be used for circuits with multiple dependent voltage sources?

Yes, nodal analysis with dependent voltage source can be used for circuits with multiple dependent voltage sources. Each dependent voltage source will be considered as a separate variable in the Kirchhoff's Current Law equations at each node.

5. What are the advantages of using nodal analysis with dependent voltage source?

Nodal analysis with dependent voltage source is a systematic and efficient method for solving circuits with dependent voltage sources. It also allows for the analysis of complex circuits with multiple dependent voltage sources, making it a useful tool for circuit analysis in scientific research and engineering applications.