Nodal Voltage Analysis with dependent sources

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem statement involving data on a sheet and named nodes V1 to V4, with a focus on V3 and V4. The solver being used involves x=V3 and y=V4. The student has attempted to solve the problem but is stuck on the equation for Io or the branch V3-V4. They have received help and have successfully solved the problem. The assignment was to solve for Vo and Io.
sparkie

Homework Statement

All the data is on the sheet. I named the nodes V1 to V4, however I'm primarily evaluating in terms of V3 and V4. The x=V3 and y=V4 are for the systems solving I'm using. I've looked and looked at this problem, and seem to be hung up, but I suspect it is going to be on my equation for Io or having to do with the branch V3-V4.
upload_2018-2-22_9-46-35.png

Homework Equations

All the relevant info is on my work, I tried to be clear, neat and verbose with it.

The Attempt at a Solution

upload_2018-2-22_9-47-16.png
https://pasteboard.co/H8OUDW8.jpg
H8OUDW8.jpg

Attachments

• upload_2018-2-22_9-46-35.png
    upload_2018-2-22_9-46-35.png
    132.4 KB · Views: 298
  • upload_2018-2-22_9-47-16.png
    upload_2018-2-22_9-47-16.png
    28.7 KB · Views: 311
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
What, specifically, are you asked to solve for? It's not mentioned in your problem statement.

sparkie said:
I've looked and looked at this problem, and seem to be hung up, but I suspect it is going to be on my equation for Io or having to do with the branch V3-V4.
Your equations look okay except, as you say, your equation for ##i_o## (Assuming that it's properly labelled on your schematic).

Generally it's only necessary to name essential nodes for analysis. Your V1 and V2, being in the middle of branches, are not essential nodes.

I apologize for that. They want Vo and Io

So, re-think your equation for ##i_o## and show us how you get on...

So I ended up using the branch V3-V4 to get the current for Io and it worked. I tried a couple other things and failed before I realized it this morning. Of course, the homework has already been submitted, but I wanted to find out what I was missing, so thank you for the help.

Likes Tom.G

1. What is Nodal Voltage Analysis with dependent sources?

Nodal Voltage Analysis is a method used to analyze and solve electric circuits. It is a systematic approach that uses Kirchhoff's Current Law and Ohm's Law to determine the voltage at each node in a circuit. In the case of dependent sources, the voltage at a node is influenced by a dependent source, which can be a voltage or current source that is controlled by another voltage or current in the circuit.

2. Why is Nodal Voltage Analysis with dependent sources important?

Nodal Voltage Analysis is important because it allows us to determine the voltage at each node in a circuit, which is essential in understanding how the circuit behaves. With dependent sources, we can also analyze more complex circuits that have sources that are controlled by other sources, making it a useful tool in circuit design and analysis.

3. How do you set up equations for Nodal Voltage Analysis with dependent sources?

To set up equations for Nodal Voltage Analysis with dependent sources, we first label all the nodes in the circuit. Then, we apply Kirchhoff's Current Law at each node and use Ohm's Law to express the currents in terms of the node voltages. We also include the relationship between the dependent source and the controlling voltage or current in the equation. Finally, we solve the resulting system of equations to find the node voltages.

4. What are some tips for solving Nodal Voltage Analysis with dependent sources?

Some tips for solving Nodal Voltage Analysis with dependent sources include: carefully labeling the nodes and keeping track of the direction of currents, using a systematic approach by starting from the easiest nodes and moving towards the more complex ones, and double-checking your equations and calculations for any mistakes.

5. Can Nodal Voltage Analysis with dependent sources be used in all circuits?

Nodal Voltage Analysis with dependent sources can be used in most circuits, including those with multiple dependent sources. However, it may not be the most efficient method for circuits with a large number of nodes, and in those cases, other analysis methods such as mesh analysis may be more suitable.