Mesh analysis with dependent sources

In summary, the conversation discusses using mesh analysis to find three currents, with the correct answers being I1= -1.25A, I2=0.125A and I3 = 1.125A. However, there is confusion about the calculation for Va, with one person mistakenly dividing the current by the resistance instead of multiplying. This error is pointed out and resolved, with the person acknowledging their mistake.
Cocoleia

Homework Statement

I need to use mesh analysis to find the three currents:
upload_2016-12-17_15-22-11.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

upload_2016-12-17_15-20-54.png

The answers are I1= -1.25A, I2=0.125A and I3 = 1.125A
I don't know where I messed up for I3

Physics news on Phys.org
Cocoleia said:

Homework Statement

I need to use mesh analysis to find the three currents:
View attachment 110493

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

View attachment 110491
The answers are I1= -1.25A, I2=0.125A and I3 = 1.125A
I don't know where I messed up for I3
How di you get Va = (I2-I3)/5 ?

nrqed said:
How di you get Va = (I2-I3)/5 ?
It should be multiplied

Cocoleia said:
from the 5Ω resistance
My point is that a voltage is a resistance times a current, it cannot be a current divided by a resistance

nrqed said:
My point is that a voltage is a resistance times a current, it cannot be a current divided by a resistance
Thank you I didn't realize my error

1. How is Mesh Analysis different from other circuit analysis methods?

Mesh analysis is a method of circuit analysis that uses Kirchhoff's Voltage Law to analyze circuits with multiple loops. It is different from other methods, such as nodal analysis, which uses Kirchhoff's Current Law to analyze circuits with multiple nodes.

2. What are dependent sources in Mesh Analysis?

Dependent sources are voltage or current sources that are controlled by other elements in the circuit. They can be either dependent on voltage or current, and their values are determined by the values of the controlling elements.

3. How do you handle dependent sources in Mesh Analysis?

In Mesh Analysis, dependent sources are treated like any other element in the circuit. Their values are not known initially, so they are represented by variables in the equations. Once the equations are solved, the values of the dependent sources can be calculated using the controlling elements' values.

4. What is the difference between a dependent voltage source and a dependent current source?

A dependent voltage source is a source that provides a voltage based on the voltage of another element in the circuit, while a dependent current source provides a current based on the current of another element. Dependent voltage sources are represented by a voltage-controlled voltage source (VCVS), while dependent current sources are represented by a current-controlled current source (CCCS).

5. Can Mesh Analysis be used for circuits with both independent and dependent sources?

Yes, Mesh Analysis can be used for circuits with a combination of independent and dependent sources. The equations will include variables for both types of sources, and the values of the dependent sources can be determined after solving the equations.