Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Noises on Phone line when touching appliances

1. Jan 23, 2009 #1
    Not so much an engineering question, but electrical.

I've got a noisy phone line in my kitchen and not sure what's going on... more curious about the electrical theory than anything else.

-when operating either of 2 light dimmers in the area, loud hum on phone line.
    -when first touching any grounded appliance, hear a click on the line as if I am discharging or something.
    -the phone is plastic all around so it seems bizzare to me that it would make any noise when touching appliances.

Any thoughts?
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 23, 2009 #2
    Light dimmers are notoriously noisy. 120 times a second there's a sharp turn-on edge, that splatters electromagnetic waves over the spectrum. Turned all the way on, you should notice that the noise diminishes.

When you touch ground a high current spike occurs that takes your body to ground potential. The abrupt change in current (from zero, before discharge) is what causes the broadcasting. There are a lot of frequencies represented, so a good chance of picking it up in a circuit not shielded or filtered well enough. Apparently, it doesn't require a noticable arc to recieve it, in your phone.

People are modeled at about 50 pF capacitance. There's also self inductance, even a straight conductor. The current actually oscillates a bit before going to zero, if the resistance isn't too high. This part of the signal has a narrower band, than the sharp, arc-over start.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?