Non-autonomous diff eq and periodicity

• Thread starter BrainHurts
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Diff eq
In summary: T) = x(0) e^{\int_0^{t+T} p(s) ds}##So ##x(t+T) = x(0) e^{\int_T^T p(s) ds + \int_0^t p(u+T) du}## = ##x(t)##So the left hand side is the same as the right hand side, ##x(t) ##.Now we have that ##x(t+T) = x(t)##, so the general solution to the DE is periodic with period ##T##.Therefore, the integral from ##0## to ##T## of ##p(t)## must equal 0 for the
BrainHurts

Homework Statement

Consider the first-order non-autonomous equation ##x' = p(t) x##, where ##p(t) ## is differentiable and periodic with period ##T##. Prove that all solutions of this equation are period with period ##T## if and only if ##\int_0^T p(s) ds = 0##.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not quite sure, first I got that the general solution to ##x' = p(t) x ## is

##x(t) = C e^{\int p(t) dt}##. Now I know that ##p(t+T) = p(t)##.

So we have ##x' = p(t) x## ##(\star) ##, ##p## is periodic with period ##T## and ##x(t) = C e^{\int p(t) dt}##

Any hints on how to proceed?

Physics news on Phys.org
BrainHurts said:

Homework Statement

Consider the first-order non-autonomous equation ##x' = p(t) x##, where ##p(t) ## is differentiable and periodic with period ##T##. Prove that all solutions of this equation are period with period ##T## if and only if ##\int_0^T p(s) ds = 0##.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not quite sure, first I got that the general solution to ##x' = p(t) x ## is

##x(t) = C e^{\int p(t) dt}##. Now I know that ##p(t+T) = p(t)##.

So we have ##x' = p(t) x## ##(\star) ##, ##p## is periodic with period ##T## and ##x(t) = C e^{\int p(t) dt}##

Any hints on how to proceed?

I would suggest using a definite integral (integrate from ##0## to ##t##) when solving the DE so you can write the solution as$$
x(t) = x(0)e^{\int_0^t p(s)~ds}$$Now ##x## is periodic iff ##x(t+T) = x(t)## for all ##t##. Write out what that says in terms of your solution. Then see if you can relate that to ##p## being periodic with period ##T##.

##(\Leftarrow)##

Well ##x(T) = x(0) e^{\int_0^T p(s) ds} \Rightarrow x(T) = x(0) \Rightarrow x(0 + T) = x(0)## so when t = 0 we have that situation covered.

Now we want to show periodicity for all t, ##x(t+T) = x(0) e^{\int_T^{t+T} p(s) ds} = x(0) e^{\int_T^{t+T}p(s)ds} = x(0) e^{\int_0^t p(u+T) du} = x(0) e^{\int_0^t p(u) du} = x(t) ##

The integral from ##T## to ##t+T## since we want to integrate on an interval with length ##t##, and ##p(u+T) = p(u)## since ##p## is ##T## periodic.

The only thing that I'm wondering is I never used the fact that ##\int_0^T p(s) ds = 0##.

Does this look OK so far?

Last edited:
BrainHurts said:
##(\Leftarrow)##

Well ##x(T) = x(0) e^{\int_0^T p(s) ds} \Rightarrow x(T) = x(0) \Rightarrow x(0 + T) = x(0)## so when t = 0 we have that situation covered.

Now we want to show periodicity for all t, ##x(t+T) = x(0) e^{\int_T^{t+T} p(s) ds} = x(0) e^{\int_T^{t+T}p(s)ds} = x(0) e^{\int_0^t p(u+T) du} = x(0) e^{\int_0^t p(u) du} = x(t) ##

The integral from ##T## to ##t+T## since we want to integrate on an interval with length ##t##, and ##p(u+T) = p(u)## since ##p## is ##T## periodic.

The only thing that I'm wondering is I never used the fact that ##\int_0^T p(s) ds = 0##.
That would bother me too. In my previous post I showed you$$
x(t) = x(0)e^{\int_0^t p(s)~ds}$$Then I asked you what you get if you set ##x(t)=x(t+T)##. You haven't done that. Write down exactly what that equation says and see what it says about ##p(t)##. You need to do that before you start considering the periodicity of ##p(t)##. Once you do that you can try to prove the iff thing about ##p## being periodic.

Hmm,

##(\Rightarrow)##

We know that ##x(t+T) = x(t)##, and in particular we have that ##x(T) = x(0)##.

So ##x(T) = x(0) e^{\int_0^T p(s) ds} = x(0) = x(0) e^0##. We see that ##e^{\int_0^T p(s) ds} = e^0##, which implies ##\int_0^T p(s) ds = 0##.

We already have the fact that ##p## is ##T## - periodic.

I'm not sure what you mean exactly.

BrainHurts said:
Hmm,

##(\Rightarrow)##

We know that ##x(t+T) = x(t)##, and in particular we have that ##x(T) = x(0)##.

So ##x(T) = x(0) e^{\int_0^T p(s) ds} = x(0) = x(0) e^0##. We see that ##e^{\int_0^T p(s) ds} = e^0##, which implies ##\int_0^T p(s) ds = 0##.

We already have the fact that ##p## is ##T## - periodic.

I'm not sure what you mean exactly.

I am trying to get you to use the fact that ##x(t)## has period ##T## to see what that says about ##p(t)##. You need to know the connection between them to show that one being periodic implies the other is. It is premature to show one implies the other until you do that. You already know$$
x(t) = x(0) e^{\int_0^t p(s)~ ds}$$Using that formula what is ##x(t+T)##? Write that down.$$
x(t+T) =~~\text ?$$Now, ##x## is periodic of period ##T## if and only if the left sides are equal which tells you the right sides must be equal. Simplify that as much as you can until you have something about ##p## that must be true.

Then show that "something" happens if and only if ##\int_0^Tp(s)ds=0##. That's when you are ready to prove the if and only if. (Remember you are given that ##p## has period ##T##.)

Last edited:

1. What is a non-autonomous differential equation?

A non-autonomous differential equation is a type of differential equation where the coefficients of the equation are dependent on the independent variable. This means that the equation changes as the independent variable changes, unlike autonomous differential equations where the coefficients are constant.

2. How do non-autonomous differential equations differ from autonomous differential equations?

The main difference between non-autonomous and autonomous differential equations is that the coefficients in non-autonomous equations are dependent on the independent variable, while the coefficients in autonomous equations are constant. This leads to different behaviors and solutions for the two types of equations.

3. What is periodicity in relation to non-autonomous differential equations?

Periodicity refers to the property of a function or solution to repeat itself after a certain interval. In non-autonomous differential equations, periodicity occurs when the coefficients of the equation change in a periodic pattern, leading to a periodic solution.

4. How can periodicity be identified in a non-autonomous differential equation?

Periodicity can be identified by looking at the behavior of the solutions of the non-autonomous differential equation. If the solutions repeat themselves after a certain interval, then the equation exhibits periodicity. This can also be confirmed by analyzing the coefficients of the equation to see if they change in a periodic pattern.

5. Can non-autonomous differential equations display chaotic behavior?

Yes, non-autonomous differential equations can exhibit chaotic behavior. This occurs when the solutions to the equation are highly sensitive to initial conditions and small changes in the coefficients can result in drastically different solutions. Chaotic behavior is often observed in non-autonomous differential equations with periodic coefficients.