1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Diff EQ Intro - Verify Family of Functions as Solution

1. Aug 27, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Verify that the indicated family of functions is a solution of the given differential equation. Assume an appropriate interval I of definition for each solution.

2. Relevant equations
    dy/dx + 2xy = 1; y = e-x2[tex]\int[/tex](from 0 to x)et2dt + c1e-x2

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have only had one class period in differential so far and we didn't get to go over much material. I imagine that one would need to differentiate y(x) with respect to x and plug into the first equation. However, I'm not quite sure what to do with the integral with respect to t. I tried to integrate it, and got et2/(2t), but evaluating that at 0 would cause an implosion. If I differentiate with respect to x, I don't think I can just treat it as a constant because it's evaluated from 0 to x. Could I please get a nudge in the right direction?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 27, 2010 #2
    This is just simple application of Fundamental Theorem of Calculus.

If [tex] F(x) = \int_a^x f(t) dt [/tex] then [tex] F'(x) = f(x), [/tex] given of course that f(x) is continuous on [a, x].

4. Aug 28, 2010 #3
    So then dy/dx would be:

dy/dx = e-x2 * ex2 - 2xe-x2[tex]\int[/tex](from 0 to x)et2dt - 2xc1e-x2

And then plugging it into the differential equation, it all cancels out. Thank you so much!

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook