1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Diffusion eq. with periodic BC using method of images

1. Oct 9, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Considering the periodic boundary conditions (given below) I am supposed to find the solution T(x,t) with the initial condition T(x,0)=[tex]\delta[/tex](x) Also I am limited to use method of images so I can't use separation of variables unfortunately.

2. Relevant equations
    The boundary conditions are give by:

[tex]\frac{\partial T}{\partial x}(x=-L/2)=\frac{\partial T}{\partial x}(x=L/2)[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've only started and for the initial condition using method of images I get:

[tex]T(x,t)=\sum{(-1)^{n}\ T_{g}(x+n*L,t)}[/tex]

where the sum goes from -infinity to infinity.

My problem is how to implement the periodic boundary conditions into the problem.
    In my textbook it says that using theese kind of boundary conditions in 1-D is equivalent to transforming the coordinates from a line to a circle. What does that mean?

I'd much appriciate it if you gave me a hint on how to solve this

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 9, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi Simon! Welcome to PF! :smile:

It just means that under those boundary conditions, the function repeats itself whenever x increases by L.

So it's the same as a function on a circle with perimeter L. :smile:
  4. Oct 9, 2008 #3
    Thanks for the welcome =)

Ok so the function repeats itself when x increases by L. How do I use this when "mirroring"?

Since the delta-function has alternating signs (regarding the initial condition) for every other mirror image. Does this goes for the BC as well?

A lot of confusion here since I don't know the exact properties of the method of images. If anyone has a link where it is explained I'd appriciate it :P
  5. Oct 10, 2008 #4

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What exactly is [itex]T_{g}(x+n*L,t)[/itex]? I assume you are summing over n?

What x interval are you trying to find the solution on? [-L/2,L/2] perhaps? The method of images entails adding additional "image sources" outside of the region that you are looking for a solution on. These extra sources are placed such that the solution T(x,t) due to all of the sources will satisfy the boundary conditions.
  6. Oct 10, 2008 #5
    Yea sorry I forgot to write that I sum over n. Tg is just the gaussian solution to the diffusion eq. And [tex]\int^{-\infty}_{\infty} Tg(x,t)dx=1[/tex]
  7. Oct 10, 2008 #6

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Okay, so

[tex]T_g(x,t)=(4 \pi kt )^{-\frac{1}{2}}e^{\frac{-x^2}{4kt}}[/tex]

where [itex]k[/itex] is the diffusion constant?

You know that using the method of images is going to involve adding image sources, so say you place one at [itex]x=x_0[/itex] such that [itex]T(x,0;x_0)=\delta (x-x_0)[/itex] what then would [itex]T(x,t;x_0)[/itex] due to just that source be?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?