Non-calc problem taken out from Spivak's Calculus, I reach a dead end

  • Thread starter Thread starter Hivoyer
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Calculus
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
Hivoyer
Messages
26
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



The problem states that:

[tex]y_0 \neq 0[/tex]
[tex]|y - y_0| < \frac{|y_0|}{2}[/tex]
[tex]|y - y_0| < \frac{\epsilon|y_0|^2}{2}[/tex]

And I am supposed to use these to prove that:

[tex]y \neq 0[/tex]
[tex]|\frac{1}{y} - \frac{1}{y_0}| < \epsilon[/tex]

Homework Equations



[tex]|a| - |b| \leq |a - b|[/tex]
(Reverse Triangle Inequality - my professor hinted me to use it)

The Attempt at a Solution



Ok proving the first part was easy, I simply used the reverse triangle inequality like this:

1.I change [tex]|y - y_0|[/tex] to [tex]|y_0 - y|[/tex]
2.I use the inequality: [tex]|y_0 - y| \geq |y_0| - |y| < \frac{|y_0|}{2} => -|y| < \frac{|y_0|}{2} - |y_0| => -|y| < -\frac{|y_0|}{2} => |y| > \frac{|y_0|}{2}[/tex] and since we know [tex]y_0[/tex] is greater than 0, it's square and it's fractions are also greater than 0, so this means [tex]y[/tex] is greater than 0.

Now for part 2 I played around with [tex]|\frac{1}{y} - \frac{1}{y_0}|[/tex] and even after transforming it by completing the fraction addition: [tex]|\frac{y_0 - y}{yy_0}|[/tex] I couldn't figure out how to proceed.Could someone help for this second part?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hivoyer said:

Homework Statement



The problem states that:

[tex]y_0 \neq 0[/tex]
[tex]|y - y_0| < \frac{|y_0|}{2}[/tex]
[tex]|y - y_0| < \frac{\epsilon|y_0|^2}{2}[/tex]

And I am supposed to use these to prove that:

[tex]y \neq 0[/tex]
[tex]|\frac{1}{y} - \frac{1}{y_0}| < \epsilon[/tex]

Homework Equations



[tex]|a| - |b| \leq |a - b|[/tex]
(Reverse Triangle Inequality - my professor hinted me to use it)

The Attempt at a Solution



Ok proving the first part was easy, I simply used the reverse triangle inequality like this:

1.I change [tex]|y - y_0|[/tex] to [tex]|y_0 - y|[/tex]
2.I use the inequality: [tex]|y_0 - y| \geq |y_0| - |y| < \frac{|y_0|}{2} => -|y| < \frac{|y_0|}{2} - |y_0| => -|y| < -\frac{|y_0|}{2} => |y| > \frac{|y_0|}{2}[/tex] and since we know [tex]y_0[/tex] is greater than 0, it's square and it's fractions are also greater than 0, so this means [tex]y[/tex] is greater than 0.

Now for part 2 I played around with [tex]|\frac{1}{y} - \frac{1}{y_0}|[/tex] and even after transforming it by completing the fraction addition: [tex]|\frac{y_0 - y}{yy_0}|[/tex] I couldn't figure out how to proceed.Could someone help for this second part?

For ##v > 0## the inequality ##|u| < v## is the same as ##-v < u < v##. Now just consider the two cases ##y_0 \geq 0## and ##y_0 < 0##.
 
Ray Vickson said:
For ##v > 0## the inequality ##|u| < v## is the same as ##-v < u < v##. Now just consider the two cases ##y_0 \geq 0## and ##y_0 < 0##.

I thought [tex]y_o[/tex] could not be equal to 0.You mean [tex]y_0 > 0[/tex] instead of [tex]y_0 \geq 0[/tex] right?