Spivak's Calculus (4th ed): Chapter 1 Problem *21 Inequality

In summary, the given inequalities can be combined to show that |xy-x_0y_0|<ε by using a hint that involves rewriting xy-x_0y_0 and taking advantage of the fact that |x-x_0|<1.
Steve Turchin

Homework Statement

Prove that if
## |x-x_0|<\min (\frac {\epsilon}{2(|y_0|+1)},1)## and ##|y-y_0|<\frac{\epsilon}{2(|x_0|+1)} ##

then
## |xy-x_0y_0|<\epsilon ##

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

From the first inequality I can see that:
## |x-x_0|<\frac {\epsilon}{2(|y_0|+1)} ## and ## |x-x_0|<1 ##
From the first and second inequalities:
## |x-x_0|(2(|y_0|+1))<\epsilon ##
## |y-y_0|(2(|x_0|+1))<\epsilon ##
so by adding up both inequalities I get:
## |x-x_0|+|y_0|\cdot|x-x_0|+|y-y_0|+|x_0|\cdot|y-y_0|<\epsilon ##
and now I know that I need to write ##xy-x_0y_0## in a way that involves ##x-x_0## and ##y-y_0##

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Steve Turchin said:
## |x-x_0|+|y_0|\cdot|x-x_0|+|y-y_0|+|x_0|\cdot|y-y_0|<\epsilon ##
Building on this, a hint:
##xy-x_0y_0=xy-xy_0+xy_0-x_0y_o=x(y-y_0)+y_0(x-x_0)##

Now the ##|x||y-y_0|## term doesn't appear in your expression, but notice that ##x=x-x_0+x_o##, and remember that ##|x-x_0|<1##

Last edited:

1. What is the main concept behind Spivak's Calculus Chapter 1 Problem 21 Inequality?

The main concept behind this problem is to understand the properties and applications of inequalities in calculus. In this specific problem, you will be working with absolute values and inequalities to solve a given equation.

2. What are the key skills needed to solve Spivak's Calculus Chapter 1 Problem 21 Inequality?

To solve this problem, you will need a strong understanding of algebra, specifically with solving equations involving absolute values. You will also need to know the properties of inequalities and how to manipulate them to solve for a given variable.

3. How can solving Spivak's Calculus Chapter 1 Problem 21 Inequality be applied in real-life situations?

The skills and concepts used in this problem can be applied in various real-life situations, such as calculating inequalities in economics, physics, and engineering. Inequalities are also used in financial planning and risk analysis, as well as in everyday situations where we need to compare quantities.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving Spivak's Calculus Chapter 1 Problem 21 Inequality?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving this problem include forgetting to consider the positive and negative values of the absolute value, not checking your solutions for extraneous solutions, and incorrectly manipulating the inequalities.

5. How can practicing Spivak's Calculus Chapter 1 Problem 21 Inequality help improve my understanding of calculus?

Solving this problem can help improve your understanding of calculus by reinforcing your knowledge of algebraic skills and concepts, as well as introducing you to the properties and applications of inequalities. This problem also requires critical thinking and problem-solving skills, which are essential in mastering calculus.