Proof of Lemma (Limit Theorem 2)

In summary, Lemma (Limit Theorem 2) is a mathematical concept that states the limit of the product of two functions is equal to the product of the individual limits, as long as both limits exist. It is used to simplify the process of finding the limit of a product of two functions by breaking it down into smaller, more manageable parts. The conditions for its applicability are that both functions must have existing limits and the limit of the second function must not be equal to 0. It can also be applied to more than two functions, as long as the same conditions are met. In real-world applications, Lemma (Limit Theorem 2) can be used in fields such as physics and economics to analyze the behavior of complex systems
Seydlitz
Hello guys, can you please help me to understand this proof of division lemma, part of the limit theorem. It is taken from Spivak's Calculus Chapter 5, page 101.

Lemma 3
[tex]\text{If }y_0 \neq 0\text{ and }min(\frac{|y_0|}{2}, \frac{ε|y_0|^2}{2})\ \\
\text{ then } y \neq 0 \text{ and }|\frac{1}{y}-\frac{1}{y_0}|<ε
[/tex]

Proof

We have ##|y_0|-|y| \leq |y-y_0| < \frac{|y_0|}{2}##
(In book it is written ##\frac{y_0}{2}## I take it that is mistyped because of the subsequent line and the fact the inequality would be false.

So ##|y| > \frac{y_0}{2}##. In particular, ##y \neq 0##, and
[tex]\frac{1}{|y|}<\frac{2}{|y_0|}.[/tex]

Thus
[tex]|\frac{1}{y}-\frac{1}{y_0}|=\frac{|y_0-y|}{|y||y_0|}<\frac{2}{|y_0|}\cdot\frac{1}{|y_0|}\cdot\frac{ε|y_0|^2}{2}=ε.[/tex]

I don't understand how he came to the rightmost inequality, can you guys please elaborate how he got the conclusion?

Thank You

Physics news on Phys.org
Although I don't have Spivak handy, I think you probably have a typo in the first line of the Lemma. Did you mean to say |y-yo| < min(|yo|/2, ε|yo|^2/2) ?

The rest of the proof makes sense to me. I'm not sure what you mean by 'rightmost' inequality. If you can specify which inequality you are referring to specifically, I can clarify how he arrived at it.

Junaid Mansuri

junaid314159 said:
Although I don't have Spivak handy, I think you probably have a typo in the first line of the Lemma. Did you mean to say |y-yo| < min(|yo|/2, ε|yo|^2/2) ?

The rest of the proof makes sense to me. I'm not sure what you mean by 'rightmost' inequality. If you can specify which inequality you are referring to specifically, I can clarify how he arrived at it.

Junaid Mansuri

Yep you're right. This proof is taken from the book, it's indeed valid. Can you please elaborate the last set of inequality, after it is written thus?

As far as the last sentence in the proof, after the Thus:

Start by taking |1/y - 1/yo| and turn it into one fraction using the LCD, which is y·yo.
Notice that the fraction: |yo-y|/(|y||yo|) can be rewritten as a product of three expressions as follows:
|yo-y|/(|y||yo|) = 1/|y| · 1/|yo| · |yo-y|
We will next replace the first and third of these three expressions by expressions that are larger than them, hence making the entire product larger:

The first of these three is 1/|y| which will be replaced by 2/|yo| as it is larger than it.
The second of these three is 1/|yo| which we will leave alone.
The third of these three is |yo-y| which from the Lemma we know is less than min(|yo|/2,ε|yo|^2/2). This means that |yo-y| is less than both of them. In particular, it is less than ε|yo|^2/2. Thus, we will replace
|yo-y| by ε|yo|^2/2 which is larger than it.

Thus it follows that |1/y - 1/yo| < 2/|yo| · 1/|yo| · ε|yo|^2/2.
Multiplying these three expressions and simplifiying we get:
|1/y - 1/yo| < ε

which was the desired end of the proof.

Hope that makes sense.

All the best,
Junaid Mansuri

Last edited:

1. What is Lemma (Limit Theorem 2)?

Lemma (Limit Theorem 2) is a mathematical concept that states that the limit of the product of two functions is equal to the product of the individual limits, as long as both limits exist.

2. How is Lemma (Limit Theorem 2) used in mathematics?

Lemma (Limit Theorem 2) is used in mathematics to simplify the process of finding the limit of a product of two functions. It allows us to break down the limit into smaller, more manageable parts.

3. What are the conditions for Lemma (Limit Theorem 2) to be applicable?

The conditions for Lemma (Limit Theorem 2) to be applicable are that both functions involved must have limits that exist, and the limit of the second function must not be equal to 0.

4. Can Lemma (Limit Theorem 2) be applied to more than two functions?

Yes, Lemma (Limit Theorem 2) can be applied to any finite number of functions. The same conditions apply, where all functions must have limits that exist and the limit of the last function must not be equal to 0.

5. What are some examples of using Lemma (Limit Theorem 2) in real-world applications?

Lemma (Limit Theorem 2) can be used in various fields, such as physics and economics, to analyze the behavior of complex systems. For example, it can be used to calculate the rate of change in a population growth model or the velocity of a moving object.