Non-conservaite force and Kinetic Energy

1. 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    True/False If a non-conservative force acts on an object, its kinetic energy must increase.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I don't really understand the question, especially the part about a non-conservative force? I thought all forces were conserved, or am I confusing that with something else? However, I think the answer might be True but, the only reasoning behing that is that kinetic energy seems like it would increase over any force...
  2. jcsd
  3. D H

Staff: Mentor

Forces aren't conserved. Conserved quantities in classical physics include mass, energy, linear momentum, and angular momentum. What does your text say about nonconservative forces? What is a good example of a nonconservative force?
  4. I don't really have a text yet... I am taking the class online and the online e-text is incompleate and unhelpful (I ordered a recommended book and it should be in within the week.) But, the only mention of nonconservative forces is "The work done by a nonconservative force depends on the path through which the force acts." and I read online that an example of a nonconservative force is friction.
  5. Never mind, I just happened upon it online. Thanks anyway!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thead via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?