1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Non-conservaite force and Kinetic Energy

1. Oct 24, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    True/False If a non-conservative force acts on an object, its kinetic energy must increase.

2. Relevant equations
    ?

3. The attempt at a solution
    I don't really understand the question, especially the part about a non-conservative force? I thought all forces were conserved, or am I confusing that with something else? However, I think the answer might be True but, the only reasoning behing that is that kinetic energy seems like it would increase over any force...

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2007 #2

D H

Staff: Mentor

Forces aren't conserved. Conserved quantities in classical physics include mass, energy, linear momentum, and angular momentum. What does your text say about nonconservative forces? What is a good example of a nonconservative force?

4. Oct 24, 2007 #3
    I don't really have a text yet... I am taking the class online and the online e-text is incompleate and unhelpful (I ordered a recommended book and it should be in within the week.) But, the only mention of nonconservative forces is "The work done by a nonconservative force depends on the path through which the force acts." and I read online that an example of a nonconservative force is friction.

5. Oct 24, 2007 #4
    Never mind, I just happened upon it online. Thanks anyway!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?