1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Non-constant acceleration not sure how to solve

1. Jan 29, 2006 #1
    I'm not certain how to solve this, as the acceleration is not constant and dependant on the velocity. Here's the problem:

I take it I need to integrate the acceleration function, but I don't know how when I have dv/dt = -3.10 (dx/dt)^2. As this is just an introductory physics class and we are barely two weeks in, I'm wondering if there's not a simpler way to look at this. Any help pushing me in the right direction would be extremely appreciated!
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 29, 2006 #2
    You have complecated the problem by writing v = dx/dt.

You need a differential equation, witch connects v and t.

Leave v as it is and write a = dv/dt. You have a simple integral to do.

Hope this helps,

4. Jan 29, 2006 #3
    I haven't learned differential equations yet. Is there no other way to solve it? I tried moving the v and dv to one side and the constant and dt to the other and solving it like that, but that didn't work..
  5. Jan 29, 2006 #4
    Nevermind, I got it using the method I said didn't work above.
  6. Jan 30, 2006 #5
    Is the answer about 0.239 seconds? (sorry, heh, but I'm trying to immerse myself in physics and I want to check my work)
  7. Jan 30, 2006 #6
    Your differential equation comes in the form of a simple harmonic motion.

d^2x/dx^2-bdv/dt=0 is the equation you need to solve i think

you will get something like x=bAsin{wt} I think but don't quote me on this where b is the -3.10

you should be then able to change it around to get your answer
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2006
  8. Jan 30, 2006 #7
    a = -3.10v^2

dv/dt = -kv^2 (k=3.10)

separation of variables,

dv/v^2 = -kdt

-1/v = -kt +C

No sinusidal solution.
  9. Jan 30, 2006 #8
    ahhhh yes you are right

i apologise i thought there was something wrong
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?