Non-constant acceleration not sure how to solve

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a marble's acceleration in a fluid, which is proportional to the speed squared and given by a = -3.10v^2. The question asks how long it will take for the marble's speed to be reduced to half its initial value if it enters the fluid at a speed of 1.35 m/s. The conversation includes a suggestion to use differential equations, but the person asking the question is not familiar with them. Eventually, they are able to solve the problem using the method they initially thought wouldn't work. The final answer is approximately 0.239 seconds. There is also a brief discussion about a possible sinusoidal solution, but it is determined that it
anthonytw
I'm not certain how to solve this, as the acceleration is not constant and dependant on the velocity. Here's the problem:

The acceleration of a marble in a certain fluid is proportional to the speed of the marble squared, and is given (in SI units) by a = -3.10v^2 for v > 0. If the marble enters this fluid with a speed of 1.35 m/s, how long will it take before the marble's speed is reduced to half of its initial value?

I take it I need to integrate the acceleration function, but I don't know how when I have dv/dt = -3.10 (dx/dt)^2. As this is just an introductory physics class and we are barely two weeks in, I'm wondering if there's not a simpler way to look at this. Any help pushing me in the right direction would be extremely appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
dv/dt = -3.10 (dx/dt)^2.

You have complecated the problem by writing v = dx/dt.

You need a differential equation, witch connects v and t.

Leave v as it is and write a = dv/dt. You have a simple integral to do.

Hope this helps,

Gamma.

I haven't learned differential equations yet. Is there no other way to solve it? I tried moving the v and dv to one side and the constant and dt to the other and solving it like that, but that didn't work..

Nevermind, I got it using the method I said didn't work above.

Is the answer about 0.239 seconds? (sorry, heh, but I'm trying to immerse myself in physics and I want to check my work)

Your differential equation comes in the form of a simple harmonic motion.

d^2x/dx^2-bdv/dt=0 is the equation you need to solve i think

you will get something like x=bAsin{wt} I think but don't quote me on this where b is the -3.10

you should be then able to change it around to get your answer

Last edited:
a = -3.10v^2

dv/dt = -kv^2 (k=3.10)

separation of variables,

dv/v^2 = -kdt

-1/v = -kt +C

No sinusidal solution.

ahhhh yes you are right

i apologise i thought there was something wrong

1. What is non-constant acceleration?

Non-constant acceleration is a type of motion where the velocity of an object changes at a non-uniform rate. This means that the object is not moving with a constant speed and its acceleration is changing over time.

2. How is non-constant acceleration different from constant acceleration?

Constant acceleration is when an object's velocity changes at a constant rate. This means that the object is moving with a constant speed and its acceleration remains the same throughout the motion. Non-constant acceleration, on the other hand, has a changing acceleration and the object's velocity is not constant.

3. How can non-constant acceleration be calculated?

To calculate non-constant acceleration, you need to know the initial velocity, final velocity, and the time interval during which the acceleration occurs. The formula for non-constant acceleration is a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is the acceleration, vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, and t is the time interval.

4. What are some common examples of non-constant acceleration?

Some common examples of non-constant acceleration include a car accelerating from a stop, a roller coaster going up and down hills, and a pendulum swinging back and forth. These examples involve changes in velocity and acceleration at different rates, making them non-constant.

5. How can non-constant acceleration affect the motion of an object?

Non-constant acceleration can cause an object's motion to be more complex and difficult to predict compared to constant acceleration. It can also result in a curved path rather than a straight line. In some cases, non-constant acceleration can lead to changes in an object's velocity and direction of motion.