1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Non-Constant Acceleration Problem

1. Apr 9, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A new Tesla is designed that can perform a non-constant acceleration for 10 seconds of motion. The magnitude of the acceleration is given as a(t) = 1 m/s4t2

Starting from rest, how far does the car travel over this 10 second interval?

2. Relevant equations
    This is what is making the question difficult for me. I am unsure what equations to use with a non-constant acceleration.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried solving it manipulating the constant velocity and acceleration equations, but everything I have tried has been wrong. Even if someone could point me in the right directions equations wise, I'm sure that would help me a lot.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 9, 2017 #2

Ssnow

Gold Member

Hi, you can find the velocity function respect to ##t## that is ##v(t)=\int_{0}^{t} a(s)ds## and after the space ##x(t)=\int_{0}^{t}v(s)ds##, put ##t=10 s## in ##x(t)## ...
    Ssnow

4. Apr 9, 2017 #3

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your input is hard to read; I assume you mean ##a = k t^2,## where ##k = 1 m/s^4.##

Anyway, you get velocity ##v## by integrating ##a## with respect to ##t##, and then you get position by integrating ##v##. No amount of manipulation of the constant-acceleration formulas can do what you need.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2017
  5. Apr 9, 2017 #4
    Your assumption is correct.

After integrating the acceleration function with respect to time, with the bounds of the integral from ##0## to ##t##, I obtained the function ##t^3/3## for the velocity. Integrating that, from 0 to t for the integral, I got ##t^4/12##, and plugging in ##t## (10 seconds), I obtained a final answer of 833.3m traveled.

Does this all sound correct?

6. Apr 9, 2017 #5

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It does.

7. Apr 9, 2017 #6

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, perfect.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted