Non-Homogeneous Question Linear Algebra

In summary, for a nonhomogeneous system of 2012 equations in 1999 unknowns, the following three questions can be answered as: Yes, Yes, Yes. The reason for inconsistency is that the system is nonhomogeneous, meaning the constant matrix cannot equal 0, which may result in a row of 0 or 0=1. The reason for infinite solutions is if the number of variables is greater than the rank, meaning the equations are linearly dependent and there is only one equation. The reason for a unique solution is if the equations are linearly independent, meaning the number of ranks equals the number of variables.
1LastTry

Homework Statement

For a nonhomogeneous system of 2012 equations in 1999 unknowns, answer the following three questions:

Can the system be inconsistent?
Can the system have infinitely many solutions
Can the system have a unique solutions?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I did the answer, but not sure if it is correct, however my prof never did it in this way not sure if it is a valid answer.

My answer to these three sub questions are: Yes, Yes, Yes

1. reason for Inconsistency:

Since the system is nonhomogeneous (The constant matrix cannot =0)
so there could be a row (0...01 or 0=1) so it would be inconsistent.

2. reason for Infinite:

Infinite amount of solutions if number of variables > rank
So if the equations are Linearly Dependent then there is really only ONE equation
So the number of variables > rank, therefor containing infinite amount of solutions
(i am not sure of this answer)

3. Reason for Unique solution.
if some of the equations are linearly dependent then the number of ranks = number of variables therefore contains a unique solution (not sure of this answer).

Please help me varify this for me or is there a better and clearer solution? Thanks A LOOT.

Physics news on Phys.org
Those wonderful dimensions, 2012 and 1999, are only to confuse you. You can investigate the correctness of your answers by constructing systems of 3 equations and 2 variables.

1. What is a non-homogeneous question in linear algebra?

A non-homogeneous question in linear algebra is a question that involves a system of linear equations with a non-zero constant term (also known as the "free term"). In other words, the equations do not have the form of Ax = 0, where A is a matrix and x is a vector of variables. Instead, they have the form of Ax = b, where b is a vector of constants. Solving a non-homogeneous system typically involves finding a particular solution and a set of solutions to the associated homogeneous system.

2. How do you solve a non-homogeneous system of linear equations?

To solve a non-homogeneous system of linear equations, you can use a variety of methods such as Gaussian elimination, Cramer's rule, or the inverse matrix method. These methods involve manipulating the equations and using algebraic techniques to eliminate variables and solve for the remaining ones. It is also important to check for consistency and uniqueness of the solution.

3. What is the difference between a homogeneous and non-homogeneous system in linear algebra?

A homogeneous system of linear equations is one where the constant term is equal to zero, while a non-homogeneous system has a non-zero constant term. In other words, a homogeneous system can be written as Ax = 0, while a non-homogeneous system has the form of Ax = b, where b is a non-zero vector.

4. Can a non-homogeneous system have an infinite number of solutions?

Yes, a non-homogeneous system can have an infinite number of solutions. This occurs when the system is consistent (has a solution) and has more than one free variable. In this case, there are infinitely many ways to choose the free variables, resulting in infinitely many solutions.

5. How do you know if a non-homogeneous system has no solution?

A non-homogeneous system has no solution if it is inconsistent, meaning that there is no set of values for the variables that satisfy all the equations. This can be determined through techniques like Gaussian elimination or by looking for contradictory equations (e.g. 0 = 1) in the system.