1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Non-homogenous differential Equation

1. Feb 27, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    solve:
    y""+6y'+9y=e-3x/x3

2. Relevant equations

y=yc+yp

3. The attempt at a solution

I found yc=C1e-3x+C2xe-3x
    and am having difficulties finding yp. I am wondering which method would be the best to determine yp:

- annihilators
    - undetermined coefficients
    - variation of paramaters.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 27, 2013 #2
    Since it is in the form [itex]e^{ax}/x^k[/itex] try using [itex]Ae^{-3x}/x[/itex]

4. Feb 27, 2013 #3
    Thanks, it worked out. I have a hard time knowing what 'guess' to use for the derivative. How did you know to put it over x instead of x-3? I have a test tomorrow, so I want to make sure that I can do things properly.

5. Feb 27, 2013 #4
    I usually always try the simplest first. This doesn't pertain to this question, but if [itex]Ae^{ax}[/itex] didn't work I would try [itex]Axe^{ax}[/itex], and if that didn't work I would try [itex]Ax^2e^{ax}[/itex]. It can be rather tedious for some questions but eventually you start to notice patterns.

6. Feb 28, 2013 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Is that really a fourth degree equation or is the second '' a typo?

"Undetermined coefficents" works when the right side of the equation is one of the types of solutions you can get as solutions to homogenous differential equations with constant coefficients: exponentials, sine or cosine, and polynomials, as well as combinations of those. That is not the case here. I recommend "variation of parameters".

7. Feb 28, 2013 #6
    I think he accidentally hit the quotation mark key.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted