Non ideal pulley with two masses

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with a question regarding a past physics final. The problem involves two boxes connected by a massless, unstretchable rope over a non-ideal pulley with relevant properties of radius and mass. The friction at the axle exerts a constant torque and the moment of inertia of the pulley is given. The goal is to solve for the tensions between the rope and pulley as well as the acceleration of each box. The conversation ends with the acknowledgement that the question is straightforward and the importance of organizing thoughts when solving problems.
Voitonic
Hi,

So I have a problem with a question upon reviewing a past physics final.

Two boxes are connected by a massless, unstretchable rope that passes over a non-ideal pulley. The radius and mass of the pulley are R = 0.100m and M = 1.75 kg. As the pulley turns, friction at the axle exerts a constant torque of magnitude of 0.480 Nm. The moment of inertia of the pulley is 1/2MR2. Box B1 has a mass m1=3.98 kg and its initial location is 0.850 m above the floor. Box B2 has a mass of m2= 2.01 kg and its initial location is at the floor. After the boxes are released from rest, B1 descends to the floor, while B2 is lifted.

I'm trying to solve for the tension between each section of rope and the pulley as well as finding the acceleration of each box.

Any help would be appreciated,
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
It's rather straight forward.

m1, m2 - the two masses.
a1, a2 - corresponding accelerations.
T1, T2 - corresponding tensions.
α - angular acceleration of the pulley.
I, R - relevant properties of the pulley.
τf - friction torque.

Consider m1 descending, m2 rising as positive direction.

[tex]m_1 a_1 = m_1 g - T_1[/tex]

[tex]m_2 a_2 = T_2 - m_2 g[/tex]

[tex]I \alpha = T_1 R - T_2 R - \tau_f[/tex]

[tex]a_1 = a_2 = \alpha R[/tex]

Rest is just algebra.

P.S. When solving a problem like this, just write out equations of motion for every degree of freedom you have, then add any available constraints.

Thanks for the help.

You're right, after looking at it again the question is pretty straight forward. I guess I just need to learn how to organize my thoughts better.

1. How does the presence of two masses affect the overall performance of a non-ideal pulley?

The presence of two masses in a non-ideal pulley system can introduce additional sources of friction and tension, which can impact the efficiency and accuracy of the pulley. This can result in a less ideal mechanical advantage and may require adjustments to the system to optimize its performance.

2. What is the difference between an ideal pulley and a non-ideal pulley with two masses?

An ideal pulley is a theoretical concept that assumes no friction or tension in the system, resulting in a mechanical advantage of 1. A non-ideal pulley with two masses, on the other hand, takes into account the real-world factors of friction and tension, resulting in a mechanical advantage that is less than 1.

3. How can the efficiency of a non-ideal pulley with two masses be improved?

To improve the efficiency of a non-ideal pulley with two masses, measures can be taken to reduce friction and tension in the system. This can include using lubricants, reducing the weight of the masses, and ensuring proper alignment and tension in the pulley system.

4. Are there any real-world applications of non-ideal pulleys with two masses?

Yes, non-ideal pulleys with two masses are commonly used in mechanical systems such as elevators, cranes, and hoists. They are also used in engineering and physics experiments to demonstrate the principles of friction and tension in pulley systems.

5. Can the mechanical advantage of a non-ideal pulley with two masses be calculated?

Yes, the mechanical advantage of a non-ideal pulley with two masses can be calculated by dividing the output force by the input force. However, the presence of friction and tension in the system may result in a mechanical advantage that is less than the theoretical value, making it important to account for these factors in the calculation.