1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two pulleys and two masses on a slope

1. Jan 29, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables
    Use this photo
    http://m.imgur.com/a/lQd9q

Two masses are connected to two pulleys via ropes.The mass of the hung mass is 16kg and the mass of the object on the slope is 8kg the slope has an angle of 37 degrees. Pulleys 1 has a mas of 6 kg and Pulley 2 has a mass of 4 kg. using the picture and the given info find the following (the kinetic friction coefficient is 0.23)
    a) Angular acceleration for the two pulleys
    b) the linear acceleration for each pulley
    c) the force of each of the ropes that are connected to the pulley

2. Relevant equations
    angularacceleration=a/r
    Torque=F.r
    angularacceleration=Torque/I

3. The attempt at a solution
    angularacceleration=torque/i
    ((m1g-Ft1)r1-(-Fk-m2g×sin37+Ft2)r2)/(0.5)(6)(0.15)^2+(0.5)(4)(0.1)^2
    as you can see I already have 3 variables what should i do?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 29, 2017 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

You should provide a better image, one that is oriented properly, or describe the pulley arrangement in better detail in your text. It's preferable to upload images to PF rather than to some off-site storage area.

4. Jan 29, 2017 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

That is very hard to decipher. The reader has to reverse-engineer the expressions to figure out what all the variables are and what the numbers represent.
    Either use LaTeX or, at the least, use the superscript and subscript buttons provided.
    Define all your variables. For the constants, it is better to invent and define variables to represent them, only plugging in numbers at the end. (This has many advantages.) if you must plug in numbers straight away, build the expression up in steps, explaining what you are doing.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted