Non-linear force to linear force equation

In summary, the problem is to find a function that will produce a non-varying ratio, x/x', between the force, f, and the counterbalance force, f'.
jimgram
I need to design a cam based on the following math problem: A non-linear force f(n) is working on a lever that is x + x' long (x+x'=constant). I need an equation for the ratio, x/x', such that the counter-balancing force, f', is constant (non-varying).

By varying the ratio of f(n) to f', that is ratio=x/x', I should be able to find an equation describing the ratio (r) that provides a non-varying output force f'. The distance that f(n) works through is the same as the distance that f' works through, so work in = work out.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. I don't know quite how to approach this problem.

I hope the attached jpeg expalins the problem in enough detail

Attachments

• Mathcad - force balance.jpg
    Mathcad - force balance.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 507
Physics news on Phys.org
Not at all sure I've understood the question, but here goes.
By moments, you have f.x = f'.x'.
x+x' = C, constant.
So f.x = f'(C-x)
(f+f')x = f'.C
x = f'.C/(f+f')
Is that it?
(Didn't get the bit about f and f' moving through the same distance. Since f and f' are not equal, if they move the same distanvce there'll be an energy imbalance. Won't the movements be in the inverse ratio?)

Your solution works where both f and f' are known. If you know f' and f you can find x, and then f' = f*x/(C-x). But you need x to find f' and you need f' to find x.

I believe I have found a solution: It is required that the distance traveled for f and f' be equal. Work is equal to force times distance, so if distance is equal and f is a function of n, then the work done by f is [itex]\int f(n) dn[/itex]. This yields a constant value for the area under the curve of f(n). So now the ratio(n) (which is x/x') is equal to([itex]\int f(n) dn[/itex])/f(n)*n. Then f'(n) is equal to f(n)*ratio(n), and f'(n) is constant.

The net result is that the ratio varies as f(n) varies to maintain a constant counterbalance force f'.

Clearly I have not understood the question - and still don't.
What is n? From your integral it would appear to be the distance through which f has moved at any time. Is that right?
And when you say the two forces move through the same distance, you must mean the same overall distance over a given range, yes? It cannot be true that they have moved the same distance at each instant.

A lever that is x+x' long has a force f on one end and a countering force f' on the other end and the fulcrum is at a position determined by x, x'. Say x = x', then the fulcrum is in the center and f must equal f'. This just a simple lever and the distance that f moves will be equal to the distance f' moves.

Now you can vary the relationship between x and x' such that the fulcrum moves to the left or right of center. The ratio x/x' will be equal to the ratio f/f' and the distance each force moves the end of the lever s/s'. Again, simple lever physics.

But let's make f a function (it could be any function) such that f becomes non-linear. Let's say the function (call it 'n') is exponential. In my example, f(n)=(1/n)2. But it could be any function - that part is not important. Just that the force is non-linear. Now, if you have a fixed positon for the fulcrum (that is, x and x' are non-varying) then the countering force f' is simply f(n)*x/x'.

My problem is to find a function so that x/x' becomes non-linear and yields equal work, wf=f*s = wf'=f'*s' and f' is constant and stotal = s'total.

s is not equal to s' at all moments in time since the ratio, x/x', is varying. If area under the curve f(n)(that is, its integral) is made equal to the area under the curve (straight line) for a non-varying f', then work done on both sides will be equal and the total distance traveled on both sides will be equal.

f becomes a non-linear function of what? Distance travelled? Time? It means nothing to say f is just 'non-linear'.
Perhaps you mean non-constant, so f = f(t). The ratio x/x' = r(t).
Since f' constant, r(t) = f(t)/f'.
The deltas to distance moved must be in the same ratio: ds = r(t).ds'
(Check: work is conserved at all times: f(t).ds = f'.ds')
The remaining constraint is
∫.ds = ∫.ds' over the range of t. I.e.
∫r(t).ds' = ∫.ds'
We can reparamaterise r as a function of s':
∫r(s').ds' = ∫.ds'
I.e. the average value of r(s') as s' varies is 1.

I'm sorry - I did make it more confusing by saying that force f was a function of n where n is a series and f(n)=(1/n)^2. The force does vary as a function of time (time is proportional to n).

1. What is a non-linear force to linear force equation?

A non-linear force to linear force equation is a mathematical formula that describes the relationship between a non-linear force and the resulting linear force. It takes into account factors such as the direction, magnitude, and location of the non-linear force.

2. How is a non-linear force to linear force equation different from a linear force equation?

A linear force equation assumes that the relationship between the applied force and the resulting force is linear, meaning that the resulting force is directly proportional to the applied force. A non-linear force to linear force equation takes into account non-linear factors, such as the angle or position of the applied force, that affect the resulting linear force.

3. What are some examples of non-linear forces?

Examples of non-linear forces include friction, tension, and torque. These forces do not act in a straight line and can change direction or magnitude depending on the circumstances.

4. How is a non-linear force to linear force equation used in practical applications?

A non-linear force to linear force equation is used in fields such as engineering, physics, and biomechanics to analyze and predict the effects of non-linear forces on a system. This information can then be used to design structures or equipment that can withstand these forces.

5. Can a non-linear force to linear force equation be applied to all situations?

No, a non-linear force to linear force equation may not accurately describe the relationship between forces in all situations. It is important to consider the specific conditions and factors involved in each scenario and determine if a non-linear force to linear force equation is appropriate to use.