Non linear interpretations of QM and string theory?

In summary: Yes, it can still be compatible with string theory.The original quantum state according the transactional interpretation is linear. But linearity with the shrodinger equation breaks when the confirmation wave is generated. But it still makes the same predictions as standard QM.However, according to the interpretation, spacetime together with its metric structure emerges by way of transactions, so this can be a theory of quantum gravity.
Nickyv2423
Are interpretations that are non linear with respect to the wave function (eg. GRW, transactional) compatible with string theory?

Physics news on Phys.org
All interpretations make the same actual predictions, so they are all equally compatible with string theory. How compatible that actually is is an open question: nobody has derived the standard math of QM from string theory, although it is widely believed that it can be done.

Likes bhobba
PeterDonis said:
All interpretations make the same actual predictions, so they are all equally compatible with string theory. How compatible that actually is is an open question: nobody has derived the standard math of QM from string theory, although it is widely believed that it can be done.
When I asked Lubos Motl, he told me that interpretations that are non linear with respect to the wave function are not compatible with string theory.

Nickyv2423 said:
When I asked Lubos Motl, he told me that interpretations that are non linear with respect to the wave function are not compatible with string theory.

Did he explain why? Did he say that such interpretations make different physical predictions from standard QM? If they do, they're not interpretations, they're different theories.

PeterDonis said:
Did he explain why? Did he say that such interpretations make different physical predictions from standard QM? If they do, they're not interpretations, they're different theories.
He said that they do. But the GRW interpretation is the only one that makes different predictions. The transactional interpretation makes the same predictions as QM (as I've been told) but just adds the backwards in time wave which breaks the linearity.

Nickyv2423 said:
He said that they do. But the GRW interpretation is the only one that makes different predictions. The transactional interpretation makes the same predictions as QM (as I've been told) but just adds the backwards in time wave which breaks the linearity.
So I guess that the transactional interpretation is compatible even though it's non linear, because it still makes the same predictions (again at least what John Cramer says)

Nickyv2423 said:
I guess that the transactional interpretation is compatible even though it's non linear, because it still makes the same predictions

That's what I would say, yes.

Nickyv2423 said:
The transactional interpretation makes the same predictions as QM (as I've been told) but just adds the backwards in time wave which breaks the linearity.
I don't think that backwards in time wave, as such, breaks the linearity. In transactional interpretation linearity is broken by absorption, not by backwards propagation.

PeterDonis said:
That's what I would say, yes.
Demystifier said:
I don't think that backwards in time wave, as such, breaks the linearity. In transactional interpretation linearity is broken by absorption, not by backwards propagation.
The original quantum state according the transactional interpretation is linear. But linearity with the shrodinger equation breaks when the confirmation wave is generated. But it still makes the same predictions as standard QM.
However, according to the interpretation, spacetime together with its metric structure emerges by way of transactions, so this can be a theory of quantum gravity.
So can it still be compatible with string theory?

1. What is the difference between linear and non-linear interpretations of quantum mechanics?

Linear interpretations of quantum mechanics follow the traditional mathematical rules of linear algebra, where the state of a particle can be described as a linear combination of its possible states. Non-linear interpretations, on the other hand, propose alternative mathematical frameworks that can potentially resolve some of the paradoxes and limitations of linear quantum mechanics.

2. How does string theory relate to non-linear interpretations of quantum mechanics?

String theory is a theoretical framework that attempts to unify all the fundamental forces of nature, including gravity, into a single framework. It is inherently non-linear and incorporates concepts from both quantum mechanics and general relativity. Some non-linear interpretations of quantum mechanics use string theory to provide a more comprehensive understanding of quantum phenomena.

3. What are some examples of non-linear interpretations of quantum mechanics?

Some examples of non-linear interpretations include de Broglie-Bohm theory, which proposes that particles have definite positions and trajectories, and many-worlds interpretation, which suggests that every possible outcome of a quantum event actually occurs in different parallel universes. Other examples include stochastic interpretations and pilot-wave theory.

4. How do non-linear interpretations address the measurement problem in quantum mechanics?

The measurement problem in quantum mechanics refers to the paradoxical behavior of particles when they are observed or measured. Non-linear interpretations often offer alternative explanations for this behavior, such as the idea that particles have definite positions and trajectories, or that there are multiple parallel universes where all possible outcomes of a measurement occur.

5. Are non-linear interpretations of quantum mechanics widely accepted by the scientific community?

Non-linear interpretations of quantum mechanics are still considered to be in the realm of theoretical physics and are not widely accepted by the scientific community. However, they continue to be studied and debated by physicists, as they offer potential solutions to some of the unresolved issues in quantum mechanics.