Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Non linear interpretations of QM and string theory?

1. Feb 19, 2017 #1
    Are interpretations that are non linear with respect to the wave function (eg. GRW, transactional) compatible with string theory?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 20, 2017 #2

PeterDonis

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

All interpretations make the same actual predictions, so they are all equally compatible with string theory. How compatible that actually is is an open question: nobody has derived the standard math of QM from string theory, although it is widely believed that it can be done.

4. Feb 23, 2017 #3
    When I asked Lubos Motl, he told me that interpretations that are non linear with respect to the wave function are not compatible with string theory.

5. Feb 23, 2017 #4

PeterDonis

2016 Award

Did he explain why? Did he say that such interpretations make different physical predictions from standard QM? If they do, they're not interpretations, they're different theories.

6. Feb 23, 2017 #5
    He said that they do. But the GRW interpretation is the only one that makes different predictions. The transactional interpretation makes the same predictions as QM (as I've been told) but just adds the backwards in time wave which breaks the linearity.

7. Feb 23, 2017 #6
    So I guess that the transactional interpretation is compatible even though it's non linear, because it still makes the same predictions (again at least what John Cramer says)

8. Feb 23, 2017 #7

PeterDonis

2016 Award

That's what I would say, yes.

9. Feb 24, 2017 #8

Demystifier

Science Advisor

I don't think that backwards in time wave, as such, breaks the linearity. In transactional interpretation linearity is broken by absorption, not by backwards propagation.

10. Feb 24, 2017 #9
    The original quantum state according the transactional interpretation is linear. But linearity with the shrodinger equation breaks when the confirmation wave is generated. But it still makes the same predictions as standard QM.
    However, according to the interpretation, spacetime together with its metric structure emerges by way of transactions, so this can be a theory of quantum gravity.
    So can it still be compatible with string theory?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted