1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Second Order ODE - Initial Value Problem

1. Dec 16, 2007 #1
    Solve the initial value problem y''+3y'+2y = 3e[tex]^{2t}[/tex]+1 with initial values y(0) = 1, y'(0) = 1.

I am unsure if I am going about the solution correctly.

1.) Find the characteristic equation.
    r[tex]^{2}[/tex]+3r+2=0 [tex]\Rightarrow[/tex] (r + 1)(r + 2) = 0
    Therefore, y = c1•e[tex]^{-t}[/tex]+c2•e[tex]^{-2t}[/tex]

2.) Use method of undetermined coefficients for RHS. Attempt Y = Ae[tex]^{2t}[/tex]+B. This means Y' = 2Ae[tex]^{2t}[/tex] and Y'' = 4Ae[tex]^{2t}[/tex]

Substituting it all in and simplifying, I get...

12Ae[tex]^{2t}[/tex]+2B = 3e[tex]^{2t}[/tex]+1

Comparing coefficients, I get the following...

12A = 3 => A = 1/4
    2B = 1 => B = 1/2

So this would yield a particular solution of:
    y = c1•e[tex]^{-2t}[/tex]+c2•e[tex]^{-t}[/tex]+(1/4)e[tex]^{2t}[/tex]+(1/2)

4.) Next, I take the derivative of the above equation, and then substitute the initial conditions. When I do this, I get a system of equations that yields the following constants. C1 = 3/4, C2 = -1/2.

5.) Then I just replace C1 and C2 in the equation for the particular solution.

Could somebody please tell me where I am going astray? Thank you VERY much!!!
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 16, 2007 #2

Homework Helper

Well that is basically the correct method...so why do you think you are wrong?
  4. Dec 16, 2007 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Unfortunately, although you are referring to an "initial value problem", you never bothered to tell us what those initial values are!
  5. Dec 16, 2007 #4
    Ooops...added them now. Sorry! But thanks for looking!
  6. Dec 17, 2007 #5

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Recheck you calculations for [itex]C_1[/itex] and [itex]C_2[/itex]. I get [itex]C_1= -\frac{3}{4}[/itex] which also changes [itex]C_2[/itex].
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?