1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Non-Negative, Decreasing Sequence: If series converges then lim n*a_n = 0

1. Mar 19, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let {a_n} be positive, decreasing. Show that if a_1 + a_2 + a_3 + ... converges then lim n * a_n = 0.

2. Relevant equations

None.

3. The attempt at a solution

Consider the harmonic series 1 + 1/2 + 1/3 + ... . Observe that

[a_n] / [1 / n] = n * a_n .

Since 1 + 1/2 + 1/3 + ... diverges, by the Limit Comparison Test we know that, if it exists, lim n * a_n = 0, for otherwise a_1 + a_2 + a_3 + ... would also diverge, a contradiction.

My question is, how do I prove that the limit necessarily exists? Considering f(x) = 1/x, I imagine, for example, a function g(x) in the shape of a step function such that liminf g(x) / f(x) = 0 and limsup g(x) / f(x) = 1. In this case the limit would not exist so I guess (in light of the problem statement) that the series g(1) + g(2) + g(3) + ... must diverge, but I don't know how to show this.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 19, 2009 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ok. If limit n*a_n is not zero, then there is an e>0 such that there exists an infinite number of integers N such that N*a_N>e. Right? If you are onboard with that, then i) there is an N0 such that N0*a_N0>e. There are N0 terms a_n less than N0 and each one is greater than e/N0. So the sum of those terms is greater than e. Now, there is an N1>2*N0 such that N1*a_N1>e. That means each of the a_n for n between N0 and N1 is greater than N1/e. There are more than N1-N0>N1/2 such terms. So the sum of all of those terms is greater than e/2. Now there is an N2>2*N1 such that N2*a*N2>e. The sum of all of the a_n for n between N2 and N1 is again greater than e/2. I can keep this up forever. And get an infinite number of e/2's. But the sum of the a_n is supposed to be finite and e>0. How can that be? I've been a little sketchy about exactly how many terms are between the integers, but that's the spirit of the proof.

4. Mar 19, 2009 #3
    Got it, thank you. I see now that it is much the same as showing that 1 + 1/2 + 1/3 + ... diverges.

5. Mar 19, 2009 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's exactly the same. You catch on fast.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook