Non-prestigous schools and job opportunities

In summary, if you have a good GPA and good grades in your physics classes, you are likely to be successful in finding a job as a physicist. However, if you have a lower GPA or poor grades, it will be harder to find a job.
Zula110100100
I am currently a Music major at Metropolitan State College of Denver. I am considering switching my major to physics but I am wondering if where you get your bachelor's has an effect on you likely-hood to get a job/go to graduate school. Also, How is the job market for physicists? I don't even know what real job you could get unless you luck out and work for NASA or CERN or JPL or something, are there many other physics jobs out there?

Physics news on Phys.org
if you go to stateU, get perfect scores on everything, take 8 classes a semester, and cure cancer, MIT will accept you. so the school name doesn't matter, it has to do with what you do while you're there.

if your school doesn't offer undergrad research, make sure you are involved outside of the classroom, and do well enough to get into summer research programs. grad schools want to see you doing professional level research in your chosen field.

Grades should be good, not perfect, and I doubt I will cure cancer.

I work and am only able to go to school on loans, so how important is taking 8 classes a semester?

Zula110100100 said:
Grades should be good, not perfect, and I doubt I will cure cancer.

I work and am only able to go to school on loans, so how important is taking 8 classes a semester?

the idea is to do as much as you possibly can. . . most undergrads don't work and go to school, especially as a physics student. so try to do some research if your grades are good, that is the best thing you can do for yourself.

Do you mean try to do some research as in try to do a summer research program as you mentioned earlier?

Zula110100100 said:
Do you mean try to do some research as in try to do a summer research program as you mentioned earlier?

yeah, most students try to get into a lab during the year and work on projects and publish papers, so if you are unable to do that, then you need to at least show an interest in research, and demonstrate an ability in it -- also, these are the profs that you want to write your letters of rec: "steve is a talented student who demonstrated great skill in my lab, he will be a huge asset to your program"

^ this is much better than "steve did well in my class"

Oh, so you mean like with the professors of my school. I was under the impression you had to be a little on your way before that. I guess as far as that goes I should just get in contact with the physics dept. at my school?

Zula110100100 said:
Oh, so you mean like with the professors of my school. I was under the impression you had to be a little on your way before that. I guess as far as that goes I should just get in contact with the physics dept. at my school?

yeah, and then individual professors to see if they have room for students. i went through a prof and not the department. best thing to do is 1) email everyone asking if they take undergrads; or 2) email the profs who do work you are interested in saying something like "i really love the work you do and am interested in doing graduate research in a similar area later on, do you happen to have any room or projects that i could help you out with?"

What are "non-prestigious" schools?

"Non-prestigious" schools refer to educational institutions that are not well-known or highly ranked in terms of reputation or academic excellence.

Do students from non-prestigious schools have equal job opportunities?

While attending a prestigious school can open doors to certain job opportunities, ultimately, a student's skills, experiences, and qualifications are what matter most in the job market. Students from non-prestigious schools can still have equal job opportunities if they have a strong academic record and relevant experience.

Are graduates from non-prestigious schools less successful?

Success is subjective and can be achieved by individuals from all types of educational backgrounds. Graduates from non-prestigious schools can still be successful in their chosen fields if they are dedicated, hardworking, and continuously strive for personal and professional growth.

Do employers discriminate against applicants from non-prestigious schools?

Employers should evaluate job candidates based on their qualifications and skills rather than the institution they attended. While some employers may have a preference for graduates from prestigious schools, there are many employers who value a diverse range of educational backgrounds and experiences.

How can students from non-prestigious schools improve their job opportunities?

Students from non-prestigious schools can improve their job opportunities by actively seeking internships, gaining relevant experience through part-time jobs or volunteer work, networking with professionals in their field, and showcasing their skills and accomplishments through a strong resume and cover letter.