1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Job Opportunities in Astrophysics/astronomy vs. Aero/Mech Engineering

1. Dec 5, 2012 #1
    Like the title says, what are the job opportunities in Astrophysics compared to Aerospace or Mechanical Engineering? I would ideally like to go into astrophysics, but I am unsure of the job opportunities once I get out of school. I know that there are jobs at NASA, universities, etc. but are there any other jobs in this field - it seems kind of small field. I would also be happy with engineering, it seems to be a very diverse field with many opportunities.

I am a sophomore in high school, so I still have lots of time to decide.

Thanks for your help

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 6, 2012 #2

eri

Astrophysics is a small field. We work for colleges and universities, national labs and observatories and NASA. There aren't a ton of jobs, so you take what you can get and don't get much choice in where you end up living. There are a lot more jobs in engineering, and they tend to pay more than astrophysics with only a bachelors (astrophysics requires a PhD for almost all jobs). You don't do it unless you love it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook