Non-Reflective Surface or Polarizing Surface

• Thread starter hgetnet
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Surface
In summary: NPR did a great article on this a few years ago:For the first example, can you just use a mirror behind a polarizing sheet? Whatever light gets reflected off of that would seem like it would be polarized...For the reflective sheet, I am thinking 11" X 11 ". Anything slightly above or below will do as well.
hgetnet
Hello Physics Forums goers:

Ok, I have a project that deals with image analysis. The idea is to make the process very easy upon myself and make the background on which I will place objects as dark as possible.

1st idea I have is that of a surface that will polarize light when light reflects from it. I googled for such a surface and I couldn't find any.

2nd idea is to have a surface that deflects or reflects away a polarized light.

3rd idea is to have a non-reflective surface that absorbs most (if not all) light that falls upon it. Again, I couldn't find any such material for sell.

ANYONE KNOW WHERE I CAN BUY ANY ONE OF THESE SURFACES?

Thanks in advance.

p.s. 1- the material can not be velvet or anything that can not be wiped with a piece of damp cloth.
2- the material should withstand a medium vibration (a bit above cellphone vibration) for 10 minutes at a time.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
hgetnet said:
Hello Physics Forums goers:

Ok, I have a project that deals with image analysis. The idea is to make the process very easy upon myself and make the background on which I will place objects as dark as possible.

1st idea I have is that of a surface that will polarize light when light reflects from it. I googled for such a surface and I couldn't find any.

2nd idea is to have a surface that deflects or reflects away a polarized light.

3rd idea is to have a non-reflective surface that absorbs most (if not all) light that falls upon it. Again, I couldn't find any such material for sell.

ANYONE KNOW WHERE I CAN BUY ANY ONE OF THESE SURFACES?

Thanks in advance.

p.s. the material can not be velvet or anything that can not be wiped with a piece of damp cloth.

For the first example, can you just use a mirror behind a polarizing sheet? Whatever light gets reflected off of that would seem like it would be polarized...

berkeman said:
For the first example, can you just use a mirror behind a polarizing sheet? Whatever light gets reflected off of that would seem like it would be polarized...

I thought about that but the mirror would not be able to stand the vibration that I am going to subject the surface to. I should have stated that in my request, but I appreciate the fast response.

hgetnet said:
I thought about that but the mirror would not be able to stand the vibration that I am going to subject the surface to. I should have stated that in my request, but I appreciate the fast response.

Ah. But you can get some pretty strong first-surface mirrors (FSMs). What dimensions are you thinking of for the reflective sheet? What vibration accelerations are you anticipating?

berkeman said:
Ah. But you can get some pretty strong first-surface mirrors (FSMs). What dimensions are you thinking of for the reflective sheet? What vibration accelerations are you anticipating?

FSMs sound like something I need to research more! Thanks!

For the reflective sheet, I am thinking 11" X 11 ". Anything slightly above or below will do as well.

For the vibration, I am thinking of something like the magnitude of a vibrating cellphone (please excuse my limited knowledge in mechanical engineering). Or if it makes sense, I am thinking of a vibration that is capable of separating a number of small pebbles (m&m's or any similar shaped objects) clamping on top of each other so that it is easy to optically analyze them.

If you reflect light off of a non-metallic surface at Brewster's angle, the light is polarized. You could reflect light off the front surface of an opaque plate glass sheet (I have seen opaque black). The refracted light is all absorbed in the glass. See
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/Hbase/phyopt/polref.html
Bob S

Last edited:

1. What is a non-reflective surface?

A non-reflective surface is a surface that does not reflect light in a specific direction, but instead scatters the light in various directions. This results in a surface that appears dull or matte rather than shiny.

2. How is a non-reflective surface different from a polarizing surface?

A non-reflective surface and a polarizing surface are different in their purpose and function. A non-reflective surface minimizes the amount of light that is reflected, while a polarizing surface filters light waves to reduce glare and increase contrast.

3. What are the benefits of using a polarizing surface?

A polarizing surface can greatly reduce glare and reflections, making it easier to see and read objects. It also increases contrast and color saturation, enhancing the overall visual quality of an image or object.

4. How are non-reflective and polarizing surfaces used in everyday life?

Non-reflective surfaces are commonly used in photography, to prevent unwanted reflections and glares in the final image. Polarizing surfaces are used in sunglasses, camera filters, and LCD screens to reduce glare and improve visibility.

5. Can a non-reflective surface also be polarizing?

Yes, a non-reflective surface can also be polarizing. Certain materials, such as polarizing filters and anti-reflective coatings, can have both non-reflective and polarizing properties. This allows for maximum reduction of glare and reflections.