1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Reflective And Transparent 3D material?

1. Jan 6, 2016 #1
    Is there any real-world material that is both reflective and transparent in 3D?

A simple plane of glass is 3D and transparent, but reflective only in two 2D planes. I'm looking for something that is reflective in a large number of parallel 2D planes so that the reflection has depth.

How about if each surface reflects a different polarization of light? One could have layers with different angles of polarization. But I don't see how the light would get back out after being reflected. The polarized layer would have to be a mirror in one direction and transparent in the other.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 6, 2016 #2

A.T.

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The light would reflect back and forth between those planes. Or are asking about holograms?

4. Jan 9, 2016 #3

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What do you mean by "depth"? If I look at the reflection of an object in a mirror it appears to have the same depth as looking directly at the object. Its not like a 2D painting. Same for the reflection from a pane of glass.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook