Non relativistic limit for dirac propagator

In summary, the conversation is about the process of performing a non-relativistic expansion on a Dirac free particle propagator to obtain a non-relativistic propagator with the kinetic energy term. The speaker also mentions difficulties in obtaining the complete Darwin term and seeking help from the person with the nickname "nrqed". Some technical details are also discussed, such as the use of Feynman slash notation in TeX.
Sleuth
Hi everybody,
I don't know if this is the right section to ask for such a question but I have been dealing with this problem for a while and there's something I still cannot grasp...
Let us suppose that we have a dirac free particle with propagator (i'm sorry but I'm not able to obtain the feynman slash notation in TeX)

suppose [tex] p = (p_0, P)[/tex]

[tex] {i \over p/ - m} = i {p_0 \gamma_0 - P \cdot \gamma + m \over p_0^2 - P^2 -m^2} [/tex]

My question is how can I perform a non relativistic expansion and recover the non relativistic propagator

[tex] {1 \over E - {P^2 \over 2 m}} [/tex]

with E as the kinetic energy?
I have a couple of ideas quite long to write down, but I cannot justify them completely so I'd accept some hint gladly :)

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sorry if I am again over this question but would really appreciate some help.
Something I noticed is the putting
[tex]p_0 = E + M [/tex]

[tex]{p_0 \gamma_0 - P \cdot \gamma + M \over p_0^2 - P^2 -M^2 } &=
{(1 + \gamma_0) M - P\cdot \gamma + E \gamma_0 \over E^2 + 2 E M - P^2} \\
[/tex]

[tex] &= { \left[ (1 + \gamma_0) M - P\cdot \gamma + E \gamma_0 \right]
\over \left( E - (\sqrt{P^2 + M^2} - M) \right) \left( E + M + \sqrt{P^2 + M^2} \right) } [/tex]

[tex]&= \left[ (1 + \gamma_0) M - P\cdot \gamma + E \gamma_0 \right] \\
\; {1 \over 2(E+M)}\left[ {1 \over E - (\sqrt{P^2 + M^2} - M) } + {1 \over E + M + \sqrt{P^2 + M^2} } \right] [/tex]

Now the first one is obviously something like a propagator for a relativistic particle with the usual kinetic energy (a particle, say electron) while the other should be something entailing the presence in the theory of the antiparticle (say positron) with a negative kinetic energy. But now how do I separate the two contributes? can I simply delete the second propagator and go on with the first one? Would I be missing something?

[edit]
notice that by projecting this propagator over the positive energy components with the use of the projector
[tex] {1 + \gamma_0 \over 2} [/tex]
on the left and on the right, the [tex] P \cdot \gamma[/tex] part is canceled out and we are left with something really similar to the non relativistic propagator provided we expand the denominator in [tex] {P^2 \over M^2} [/tex]

I think you can use [tex]{\slash p}+m=2m[/tex] in the numerator.
Factor the denominator into [tex](E-\sqrt{p^2+m^2})(E+\sqrt{p^2+m^2})[/tex].
This has the NR limit 2m(p^2/2m).

Sleuth said:
I'm sorry if I am again over this question but would really appreciate some help.
Something I noticed is the putting
[tex]p_0 = E + M [/tex]

[tex]{p_0 \gamma_0 - P \cdot \gamma + M \over p_0^2 - P^2 -M^2 } &=
{(1 + \gamma_0) M - P\cdot \gamma + E \gamma_0 \over E^2 + 2 E M - P^2} \\
[/tex]

[tex] &= { \left[ (1 + \gamma_0) M - P\cdot \gamma + E \gamma_0 \right]
\over \left( E - (\sqrt{P^2 + M^2} - M) \right) \left( E + M + \sqrt{P^2 + M^2} \right) } [/tex]

[tex]&= \left[ (1 + \gamma_0) M - P\cdot \gamma + E \gamma_0 \right] \\
\; {1 \over 2(E+M)}\left[ {1 \over E - (\sqrt{P^2 + M^2} - M) } + {1 \over E + M + \sqrt{P^2 + M^2} } \right] [/tex]

Now the first one is obviously something like a propagator for a relativistic particle with the usual kinetic energy (a particle, say electron) while the other should be something entailing the presence in the theory of the antiparticle (say positron) with a negative kinetic energy. But now how do I separate the two contributes? can I simply delete the second propagator and go on with the first one? Would I be missing something?
You are on the right track.

Note that if you do the integral over [tex] p_o [/tex], you pick up two poles. The antiparticle pole is suppressed relative to the particle pole. So keep only the particle pole.

Hi there! since your nickname, nrqed, I guess you're the right person to refer to for this kind of questions.
I'm just studying effective field theory, but I'm really not completely ok with the way they use to obtain the nrqed hamiltonian by studying the scattering amplitude.
I was looking for a way to obtain first of all the foldy-wouthuysen hamiltonian matching the dirac propagator

[tex] {1 \over p/ - m} + {1 \over p/ - m} q A/ {1 \over p/ -m} \cdots[/tex]

with a non realtivistic expansion
[tex] {1 \over E - P^2/2M} + {1 \over E - P^2/2M} V {1 \over E - P^2/2M} + \cdots[/tex]

with the potential V as the foldy wouthuysen potential.
By considering only the non interacting Dirac propagator, only the positive enrgy pole, I'm able to obtain the kinetic energy terms by putting E=0, but I have some problems with the fine structure terms, in particular I'm not able to obtain the complete darwin term, infact I obtain only the spin-orbit, the pure coulomb term and only a part of the darwin term which is
[tex] {P \cdot Q \over 4 M^2}[/tex]
so that a -P^2/8M^2 and -Q^2/8M^2 are missing.
I thought they could come by the negative energy pole but I'm not able to prove it.

p-slash

Sleuth said:
i'm sorry but I'm not able to obtain the feynman slash notation in TeX

Hi! :smile:

Just thought I'd pop my head round the door and say it's "\not{p}": [itex]\not{p}[/itex] :wink:

Sleuth said:
Hi there! since your nickname, nrqed, I guess you're the right person to refer to for this kind of questions.
I'm just studying effective field theory, but I'm really not completely ok with the way they use to obtain the nrqed hamiltonian by studying the scattering amplitude.
I was looking for a way to obtain first of all the foldy-wouthuysen hamiltonian matching the dirac propagator

[tex] {1 \over p/ - m} + {1 \over p/ - m} q A/ {1 \over p/ -m} \cdots[/tex]

with a non realtivistic expansion
[tex] {1 \over E - P^2/2M} + {1 \over E - P^2/2M} V {1 \over E - P^2/2M} + \cdots[/tex]

with the potential V as the foldy wouthuysen potential.
By considering only the non interacting Dirac propagator, only the positive enrgy pole, I'm able to obtain the kinetic energy terms by putting E=0, but I have some problems with the fine structure terms, in particular I'm not able to obtain the complete darwin term, infact I obtain only the spin-orbit, the pure coulomb term and only a part of the darwin term which is
[tex] {P \cdot Q \over 4 M^2}[/tex]
so that a -P^2/8M^2 and -Q^2/8M^2 are missing.
I thought they could come by the negative energy pole but I'm not able to prove it.

Hey! Sorry for the delay in replying, I am swamped these days.
It's been a long time since I have looked at all this. I will check it out.
A quick comment: the -P^2/8m^2 simply comes from the expansion of the [tex] \sqrt{m^2 + p^2} [/tex]. I will try to get back to your question in the next few days.

Regards

tiny-tim said:
Hi! :smile:

Just thought I'd pop my head round the door and say it's "\not{p}": [itex]\not{p}[/itex] :wink:

Hi! thank you :)
there schould be a way to move any character back or forward of a given amount of points but I've not been able to find it...

negative space

Sleuth said:
Hi! thank you :)
there schould be a way to move any character back or forward of a given amount of points but I've not been able to find it...

Hi Sleuth! :wink:

robphy :smile: found this …

\hspace{} with a positive distance inside will move the next character forward that distance, and with a negative distance inside will move it backwards …

eg [tex]\bigcap\hspace{-2.1ex}i[/tex]

(a forum tag-search for "slash" would have got you this :wink: …)
tiny-tim said:
oh, robphy, that's great! :tongue2: …

you've invented negative space! :biggrin:

you've inserted a negative space "after" the d (using \hspace{-0.8ex}), and put a horizontal bar in it. :approve:

(btw, you can leave out "\newcommand" at the start, and "\dslash " at the end: [tex]
{d \hspace{-0.8ex}\rule[1.2ex]{0.8ex}{.1ex}}
[/tex] :wink:)

Does CERN know about this? :smile:

Yeah! it was just what I was looking for. My advisor, for my bachelor, more than one year ago told me about this feature but I was just learning teX in that period and I forgot it few hours later :P
thank you again :)
Sleuth

1. What is the non-relativistic limit for the Dirac propagator?

The non-relativistic limit for the Dirac propagator is a mathematical approximation that describes the behavior of a particle with mass in a low-energy, non-relativistic regime. It is derived from the Dirac equation, which is a relativistic version of the Schrödinger equation, and is used to study the behavior of electrons in atoms and molecules.

2. How is the non-relativistic limit for the Dirac propagator calculated?

The non-relativistic limit for the Dirac propagator is calculated by taking the limit of the Dirac propagator as the speed of light approaches infinity. This results in the elimination of terms related to the particle's momentum, leaving only terms related to its position and energy. The resulting equation is known as the non-relativistic limit of the Dirac propagator.

3. What is the importance of the non-relativistic limit for the Dirac propagator in physics?

The non-relativistic limit for the Dirac propagator is important in physics because it allows for the study of particles in a low-energy regime, where the effects of relativity are negligible. This is particularly useful in studying electronic structure in atoms and molecules, as well as in condensed matter physics.

4. Are there any limitations to the non-relativistic limit for the Dirac propagator?

Yes, there are limitations to the non-relativistic limit for the Dirac propagator. It is only applicable to particles with mass, and cannot be used to describe the behavior of massless particles such as photons. Additionally, it is an approximation and may not accurately describe the behavior of particles at higher energies.

5. How does the non-relativistic limit for the Dirac propagator differ from the classical limit?

The non-relativistic limit for the Dirac propagator differs from the classical limit in that it takes into account the spin of the particle, whereas the classical limit does not. This results in a more accurate description of the behavior of particles with spin, such as electrons, in the low-energy regime.