Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Viral or non viral gene therapy, in brain

1. Feb 18, 2010 #1
    Im not sure if anybody here can answer this, but, this is my question

What negative health effects etc can occur from viral gene therapy being used on a human brain (to add one or more extra copies of a gene)

what are the odds of those negative effects occuring in the person from viral gene therapy being used on a human brain? (To add one or more extra copies of a gene)

Would non viral gene therapy in a human brain be effective enough to add one or more extra copies of a gene?

These questions are in regards to each type etc of virus though, not just AAV.

thanks..not sure if this is the area of expertise of anyone here but anyways

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 6, 2010 #2
    one negative effect is delivery of virus to the brain that would most likely involved stereotaxic neurosurgery. another negative effect is antibodies being generated to the viral capsid proteins but i think you will probably be OK with the first administration, so as long as you have long-term expression from your viral vector you will not have to worry about a second administration. viral gene therapy to the brain is a promising platform.

non-viral gene therapy sucks (i assume you are talking about plasmid DNA).

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook