1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Non-Zero Discrete Distributions

1. Mar 30, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Suppose we have a discrete random variable whose values $X = x$ can include the value $0$. Some examples are: ##X\sim \text{Binomial}(n,p)## with ##x = 0,1,2,\ldots,n## and ##X\sim \text{Poisson}(\lambda)## with ##x = 0,1,2,3,\ldots## Sometimes we can only observe these variables when ##X = x \neq 0##, i.e. when ##x## is not zero. These distributions are known as the non-zero (adjustments) to the original distributions. For the examples discussed above, they are the Non-Zero Binomial and Non-Zero Poisson respectively. Show that the variable ##Y = x## for ##x \neq 0## has:

1. Probability function ##\text{Pr}(Y=y)=c\text{Pr}(X = x)## for ##x \neq 0## and that ##c = \frac{1}{1-\text{Pr}(X=0)}##.
    2. ##E(Y) = cE(X)##.
    3. ##\text{Var}(Y) = c\text{Var}(X)+c(1-c)\left((E(X)\right)^2##.
    4. With respect to the two non-zero examples above, discuss when this adjustment can be ignored, i.e. it has little impact on the what is actually observed.

2. Relevant equations
    ##E(Y) = \sum_{i=1}^{n} y_i \text{Pr}(Y=y)##.
    ##\text{Var}(Y) = E(Y^2)-E(Y)^2##.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm not actually sure what they are trying to for 1. 2. and 3. Do we have to apply the actual density functions of the 2 respective distributions above or what???

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 31, 2016 #2

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

There are a couple of ways you could look at this. One is as a conditional distribution: replace
    $$E(\textrm{some expression involving }Y),\ Var(\textrm{some expression involving }Y),\ Pr(\textrm{some expression involving }Y)$$
    by
    $$E(\textrm{some expression involving }X|X\neq 0),\ Var(\textrm{some expression involving }X|X\neq 0),\ Pr(\textrm{some expression involving }X|X\neq 0)$$
    respectively.

The other is to define a new probability space. If the original probability space is ##(\{0,1,....\},\Sigma, P)## then define a new space ##(\{1,2,....\},\Sigma', P')## such that, for ##A\subseteq \mathbb{N}-\{0\}##, ##P'(A)=\frac{P(A)}{1-P(\{0\})}## and ##\Sigma'=\{S-\{0\}\ |\ S\in\Sigma\}##. Then we can define ##Y## as the restriction of ##X## to ##\{1,2,....\}##.

It's probably easier to go with the first one.

4. Mar 31, 2016 #3
    Oh right so ##Pr(\textrm{some expression involving }X|X\neq 0) = 1-Pr(X=0)##.

5. Mar 31, 2016 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

NO, NO, NO!
    [tex] P({\cal A} | X \neq 0) [/tex]
    is given by the usual conditional probability formula, which you should know thoroughly by now.

6. Mar 31, 2016 #5
    So ##P({\cal A} | X \neq 0) = \frac{P({\cal A} \cap X \neq 0)}{P(X \neq 0)}##. Can we use a truncated distribution via ##f(x|X>0) = \frac{g(x)}{1-F(0)}## where ##g(x) = f(x)## for all ##x>0## and ##g(x) = 0## everywhere else and ##F(x)## is the CDF???

7. Mar 31, 2016 #6

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You tell me.

8. Mar 31, 2016 #7
    How about part 4. With respect to the two non-zero examples above, discuss when this adjustment can be ignored, i.e. it has little impact on the what is actually observed.

Are they asking for an example in which ##x=0## is included???

9. Mar 31, 2016 #8

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No. They seem to be asking for circumstances wherein ##E(X|X \neq 0)##, ##\text{Var}\,(X|X \neq 0)## and maybe ##P({\cal A}|X \neq 0)## are almost the same as ##EX##, ##\text{Var}\,X## and ##P({\cal A})##. I think they want you to define "almost the same", for practical purposes.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted