Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Non-zero eigenvalues and square matrix

1. Jun 7, 2010 #1
    hello,

two quick question here. I've got the answer correct (I think), but I am not too sure how to explain it in words. So I hope someone tell me is my attempted explanation correct.

1) what is the maximum of non-zero eigenvalues a singular square matrix with 7 rows can have?

up to and include 6, because we wee at least 1 eigenvalues that is 0, such that it will give the determinate of the matrix will be 0. Therefore the matrix can be a singular square matrix.

2)how many non-zero eigenvalues does a non-singular square matrix with 5 rows have?
    5, because if any eigenvalues in a square matrix is 0, it will turn the matrix into a singular square matrix.

by the way, I need some conformity on the idea, singular square matrix is bringing higher dimension matrix into lower dimension, such that it will not have any inverse right?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 7, 2010 #2
    I think you have missed the word in red :) Ya, both 1 and 2 are correct. However what you ask in the last part, I don't understand it..

4. Jun 7, 2010 #3
    thanks! so you mean correct, as in my exaplnation was correct right? not just the answer?

don't worry about the last part of my question.

5. Jun 8, 2010 #4
    Yes, your explanation is correct too.

By the way, these are very much elementary results and there is no confusion that these can be found in all textbooks of matrix theory/linear algebra :)

6. Jun 9, 2010 #5
    well i'm doing multivariate analysis in statistics, this is part of the topics covered. so i hope i got it corrected

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook