Nonacademic jobs for astrophysics?

In summary, it can be difficult to secure tenure with a PhD in astrophysics from an Ivy League school, leading many to pursue jobs in government labs, Wall Street, or as engineers. However, there are opportunities for engineers to work on CFD in fields such as defense, particularly with a background in mechanical or aerospace engineering. Astrophysics PhDs with CFD skills may also find employment in defense, as well as in investment banking where their expertise is valued. While astrophysics may not be the typical degree for these roles, it can lead to unique opportunities in the field of modeling and problem-solving. However, it may be harder to get past keyword filters and initial screenings for engineering positions with an astrophysics background. National labs like
creepypasta13
I know that its very hard to get tenure even if you get a phD in astrophysics from an Ivy league school. hence, a lot of astrophysics phDs find jobs in government labs, wall street, or as engineers. but how likely is it to find employment as a engineer where you get to work on CFD?

My background: i plan on getting my BA in physics and BS in applied math by december 09. I've done an REU in statistical/solid-state physics and research in materials modeling. I am hesitant to apply to grad schools this fall and I'm having difficulty deciding what field I should be directing my effort towards. I would say my favorite physics class covered statistical mechanics and thermo, but i haven't taken the upper-div version of it yet. other than that, i enjoyed quantum more than classical mech and E&M

Computational simulation of physical systems sounds interesting to me. I don't think that computer science is the way I wish to go. I am interested in the theoretic side of the actual problems, not the most efficient way to code

I'm looking mostly towards CFD or astrophysics. CFD in ME sounds enticing since if i get my MS or phD in it, i shouldn't have a problem finding jobs in the defense industry and making decent money. this probably sounds lame, but working on rockets and missiles sounds interesting based on my experience with playing video games. however, I've always been kind of interested in the universe and such, so astrophysics has interested me as well. unfortunately, i didnt get to take any astro classes or do research in it

So what I'm asking is what field i should pursue in grad school? also, if i should choose astrophysics, how likely is it that i can find employment as an engineer working on CFD for defense instead of stuff like antennas?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm new to the forums but from what I've been reading, you need some type of programming skill in C++ if you want a job in the private sector.

Wax said:
I'm new to the forums but from what I've been reading, you need some type of programming skill in C++ if you want a job in the private sector.

i already took a class in c++, and learned MATLAB from my summer internship

I'm not the best person to ask. Just trying to help out since you didn't get an answer yet.:biggrin:

bump because I'm interested, too.

CFD jobs in defense are pretty common. If you are interested in missiles, look up a kind of CFD known as hydrocodes. Hydrocodes are used to model explosions.

Astrophysics is probably not the typical degree they are looking for. Mechanical engineering, aerospace engineering, one can even get degrees in CFD. Physics is not uncommon, but one might have a little explaining to do with a degree in Astrophysics. Not impossible, but harder.

Astrophysical CFD skills are useful in investment banking. The computer models are somewhat different, but someone that is good with CFD and knows C++ will probably be in demand assuming that the financial industry doesn't complete crater over the next few years.

Ben Espen said:
CFD jobs in defense are pretty common. If you are interested in missiles, look up a kind of CFD known as hydrocodes. Hydrocodes are used to model explosions.

Astrophysics is probably not the typical degree they are looking for. Mechanical engineering, aerospace engineering, one can even get degrees in CFD. Physics is not uncommon, but one might have a little explaining to do with a degree in Astrophysics. Not impossible, but harder.

So its pretty common for physics phD's to do CFD in defense? How much harder is it for astrophysics? I'd imagine it'd be much harder just trying to get pass the keyword filters that HR and online systems use to look for engineering degrees.

Last edited:
creepypasta13 said:
Are you saying that its common for astrophysics phD's with CFD skills to get jobs in defense doing CFD?
I would say that most of the hydrocodes in defense were developed by astrophysicists, I don't know if that translates into most astrophysicists doing CFD in defense.

An astrophysics PhD + programming skills probably means you aren't going to starve.

NobodySpecial said:
I would say that most of the hydrocodes in defense were developed by astrophysicists, I don't know if that translates into most astrophysicists doing CFD in defense.

An astrophysics PhD + programming skills probably means you aren't going to starve.

yeah I know, but if I get an astrophysics phD, I want to get a job that involves more than just plain programming or software engineering. I was hoping for some job that could involve some physics, and hopefully in the aerospace/defense industry. So I was hoping it'd be possible to work on CFD for defense purposes with an astrophysics background

creepypasta13 said:
So its pretty common for physics phD's to do CFD in defense? How much harder is it for astrophysics? I'd imagine it'd be much harder just trying to get pass the keyword filters that HR and online systems use to look for engineering degrees.

Depends on the job. If you work at a national lab like Los Alamos, then anyone without a Ph.D. will get screened out in the first pass. People with astrophysics Ph.D.'s tend not to work on developing the missiles, but rather focus on working on making sure that thing on top of the missile, works.

Also, putting "physics Ph.D." will get up passed a lot of keyword filters.

creepypasta13 said:
yeah I know, but if I get an astrophysics phD, I want to get a job that involves more than just plain programming or software engineering. I was hoping for some job that could involve some physics, and hopefully in the aerospace/defense industry. So I was hoping it'd be possible to work on CFD for defense purposes with an astrophysics background

Hydrocodes (and most CFD/FEA tools) really fall into the world of modeling rather than programming or software. There are some jobs that involve just the development of these tools, but most people are using these numerical tools to solve real problems. What your PhD is really good for is communicating "I can create or modify the tool if I need to solve a problem that has not been solved before".

twofish-quant said:
Depends on the job. If you work at a national lab like Los Alamos, then anyone without a Ph.D. will get screened out in the first pass. People with astrophysics Ph.D.'s tend not to work on developing the missiles, but rather focus on working on making sure that thing on top of the missile, works.

Also, putting "physics Ph.D." will get up passed a lot of keyword filters.

Thing on top of the missile? I'm not sure about all the components of a missile, but isn't that the GNC section? I'd rather use the hydrocodes

Ben Espen said:
Hydrocodes (and most CFD/FEA tools) really fall into the world of modeling rather than programming or software. There are some jobs that involve just the development of these tools, but most people are using these numerical tools to solve real problems. What your PhD is really good for is communicating "I can create or modify the tool if I need to solve a problem that has not been solved before".

Well that's good, because I would like to use those tools to solve problems.

creepypasta13 said:
Thing on top of the missile? I'm not sure about all the components of a missile, but isn't that the GNC section? I'd rather use the hydrocodes

I'm talking about the part of the ICBM that goes boom. Pretty much all of the people that design hydrogen bombs are Ph.D. physicists, and there is a very large fraction of astrophysicists among them.

I was first exposed to hydrocodes when I interviewed for a position designing the warhead on the Tomahawk cruise missile. The pointy end, as they say.

Ben Espen said:
I was first exposed to hydrocodes when I interviewed for a position designing the warhead on the Tomahawk cruise missile. The pointy end, as they say.

what area of physics did you get your phD in? You had prior experience with CFD, right?

I don't have a PhD. The company I was interviewing with was going to train me in the use of hydrocodes, but I had experience with C, FORTRAN, Java, and MATLAB already at that point. It was fairly common for folks working in that area to end up with at least a masters in CFD.

Ben Espen said:
I don't have a PhD. The company I was interviewing with was going to train me in the use of hydrocodes, but I had experience with C, FORTRAN, Java, and MATLAB already at that point. It was fairly common for folks working in that area to end up with at least a masters in CFD.

So you have a MS in physics? So if the people there had no prior background in fluids or CFD, they could still work on the hydrocodes if they had background with lots of different programming languages like you?

I should have been more specific. I actually have a mere BS in Physics. I am sure the programming experience helped, but my overall academic record is strong in math and physics, and my alma mater has a long-running relationship with the company that interviewed me. I am sure a real programmer would laugh at my coding skills, but I know enough to do what I need to do, and I can learn what I need to know. Conveying *that* impression is worth a lot.

1. What types of nonacademic jobs are available for astrophysicists?

Astrophysicists can find job opportunities in a variety of industries, including aerospace, data analysis, engineering, and research and development. Some common roles for astrophysicists in these fields include data scientist, research analyst, systems engineer, and technical writer.

2. What skills do I need to have to pursue a nonacademic career in astrophysics?

In addition to a strong foundation in astrophysics and related sciences, nonacademic jobs in this field often require skills in data analysis, programming, and communication. It can also be beneficial to have experience with relevant software and technology, such as data visualization tools and programming languages like Python or R.

3. Is a PhD necessary for nonacademic jobs in astrophysics?

While a PhD is often preferred for more advanced positions in astrophysics, there are still many opportunities available for those with a bachelor's or master's degree. Many nonacademic jobs value relevant experience and skills more than a specific degree, so it is possible to find a job in this field without a PhD.

4. How can I prepare for a nonacademic career in astrophysics while still in school?

There are a few ways to prepare for a nonacademic career in astrophysics while still in school. One option is to pursue internships or research opportunities in relevant industries or organizations. Another is to gain experience with data analysis and programming through coursework or personal projects. Networking with professionals in the field can also help you gain insights and connections for future job opportunities.

5. Are there opportunities for advancement in nonacademic jobs for astrophysics?

Yes, there are opportunities for advancement in nonacademic jobs for astrophysics. Many organizations offer career development programs and opportunities for employees to take on more advanced roles or leadership positions. Additionally, gaining experience and skills in other related fields can also open up new opportunities for advancement in the future.