1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Nonconservative Force Question- !

1. Sep 23, 2007 #1
    Nonconservative Force Question--URGENT!

A skier traveling 12 m/s reaches the foot of a steady upward 18 degree incline and glides 12.2 meters up along this slope before coming to rest. What was the average coefficient of friction?

Work nonconservative= mechanicalenergyfinal-mechanicalenergyinitial

Wnc= (1/2mvf^2+mghf)- (1/2mvi^2-mghi)

i used Ff= force of friction, and 3.7 coming from sin 18= (x/12.2)- 3.7 is the height of the incline plane.
    m= mass

Ff*12.2= (9.8)(3.7)m-(1/2(12.0^2))m

and got Ff(12.2)= 35.74 m

so Ff= 2.92m, which means the coefficient of friction, u= 2.92m/9.8mcos18, the masses then cancelling out.

my question is, do you have to take the x-component of weight into account at all? does it affect the force of friction and thus the coefficient of friction? or do you just ignore the x-compent of weight, mgsin18?

any help would be very much appreciated, i've been debating this all weekend- thank you in advance!
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 23, 2007 #2

Homework Helper

Looks to me like everything is correct.
  4. Sep 23, 2007 #3
    thank you very much, learningphysics! you have no idea how much better that makes me feel- i have a test tomorrow in ap physics! :-) thats what i thought, i just wasn't sure and i KNOW there'll be a problem like that on the test..
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?