Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Noncoordinate basis vector fields

1. Oct 27, 2006 #1
    I'm self-studying Schutz Geometric methods of mathematical physics, having problems with ex. 2.1. page 44.

show this is non-coordinate basis, i.e. show commutator non-zero.

I try to apply his formula 2.7, assuming

V1=cos(theta), V2=sin(theta)
    W1=-sin(theta), W2=cos(theta)
    x(r)=r cos(theta)
    y(r)=r sin(theta)

I believe the component of x should be (sin(theta))/r, however I get (sin(theta) - r sin(theta))/r.

would appreciate any help
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 1, 2006 #2

Chris Hillman

Science Advisor

Vector fields

Hi, desic,

Vector fields, flows (in the sense of manifold theory), and first order linear homogeneous partial differential operators, are all tighly inter-related concepts, and it helps to able to freely intertranslate between these various representations.

E.g. in [tex]\mathbold{R}^2[/tex] "translation along x" and "rotation around the origin" can be written
    [itex] \vec{T} = \partial_x[/itex]
    [itex] \vec{R} = \partial_\theta = -y \, \partial_x + x \, \partial_y [/itex]
    Now you can just compute [tex] \vec{T} \vec{R} f - \vec{R} \vec{T} f[itex] for an undetermined function f, from which you can read off the commutator.

See Olver, Equivalence, Invariants, and Symmetry for more about the virtues of this style of thinking/computing.

Chris Hillman
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?