1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Nonhomogeneous diff equations method of undeterined coeff.

1. Oct 20, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the general solution to the diff equation using undetermined coefficients
    y''-2y'-3y = 3te^-1

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    r^2 - 2r -3 = 0
    r = -1, 3
    so y = c1 e^-t + c2e^3t + yp
    since e^-t already exists as a solution, i have to multiply my Yp by t to make sure i don't' end up with the same solution.
    So my Yp with the unknown coeffcient should be,
    yp = At^2e^-t
    should it be (At^2+bt+c)e^-t instead or something else? i've done it both ways and came up with wrong answers.
    I know what to do after figuring out yp, its just i can't get it right with ideas i have right now.
    Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2009 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Yes, go with (At2 + Bt + C)e-t for your particular solution. Show us your work, and we'll figure out what's going wrong.

4. Oct 20, 2009 #3
    thanks for responding, Lets see if i have the yp's correct
    yp = (At^2+Bt+c)e^-t
    y'p = (2At + B)e^-t -(At^2+Bt+c)e^-t
    y''p = 2Ae^-t - (2At + B)e^-t - (2At+B)e^-t -(At^2+Bt+c)e^-t

5. Oct 20, 2009 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

In general, it you have a power of t on the right side, you will need to try a polynomial up to that power. If your right side were [itex]te^{at}[/itex] and [itex]e^{at}[/itex] were not already a solution, you would try [itex](At+ B)e^{at}[/itex]. Since, here, [itex]e^{at}[/itex] is a solution, multiply that by t: try [itex](At^2+ Bt)e^{at}[/itex].

You should find that you do NOT need that "c". (Using it will just give C= 0.)

You can add those two middle terms and the last term should be "+".
    y"/= 2Ae^-t- 2(2At+ B)e^-t+ (At^2+ Bt+ C)e^-t

6. Oct 20, 2009 #5
    Thanks alot HallsofIvy, it seems i just subbed in wrong for y''p and the "c" ended up canceling out anyways.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook