Nonlinear Dynamics and Chaos, Strogatz: 2.1.5

In summary, the conversation discusses finding a mechanical system governed by \dot{x}=sin(x), with a suggestion of using an inverted pendulum in a viscous medium. The concept of stability and instability is then introduced and a suggestion is made to visualize the function to understand the concept. Another suggestion is to evolve the equations and eliminate the second order term for a simpler model. The original poster never returned and the conversation is years old.
Niteo

Homework Statement

a) Find a mechanical system that is approximately governed by [itex]\dot{x}=sin(x)[/itex]
b) Using your physical intuition, explain why it now becomes obvious that x*=0 is an unstable fixed point and x*=[itex]\pi[/itex] is stable.

Homework Equations

[itex]\dot{x}=sin(x)[/itex] (?)

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm thinking a pendulum can be used as a mechanical system that varies with sinθ, but I'm not sure how to solidify my answer.

Could it possibly be an inverted pendulum in a very viscous medium?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Consider a particle sliding over terrain y=f(x). Assuming conservation of energy (and some convenient total) what is the PE at x? What does that yield for f?

Question of understanding what they want. I think all you need to do is draw a diagram of the given function (familiar!) extending a little further on both sides than the points mentioned; xdot is the ordinate, but more important, with little horizontal arrows show which way x Is moving on each side of the named points, and you will soon see what they mean about stability/instability. Just explain this in your own words.

Last edited:
Immerse your pendulum in honey and evolve your equations. When you finish, you're going to get a second order differencial equation. At this point, you got to be audacious and destroy the second order term. Voilà.

velkhaliliB said:
Immerse your pendulum in honey and evolve your equations. When you finish, you're going to get a second order differencial equation. At this point, you got to be audacious and destroy the second order term. Voilà.
The OP never came back, and this is years old.
But for what it's worth, I believe my suggestion in post #2 gives a very easy model, no approximations needed.

What is the definition of nonlinear dynamics?

Nonlinear dynamics is the study of systems that exhibit behavior that is not directly proportional to their inputs. This means that small changes in the initial conditions or inputs of a system can lead to drastically different outcomes.

What is chaos in the context of nonlinear dynamics?

In the context of nonlinear dynamics, chaos refers to a type of behavior in which a system is highly sensitive to initial conditions and exhibits seemingly random and unpredictable outcomes. This behavior is often characterized by the existence of strange attractors and aperiodic oscillations.

What is the difference between deterministic and stochastic systems?

Deterministic systems are those in which the future behavior of a system can be precisely predicted based on its current state and a set of equations or rules. Stochastic systems, on the other hand, are subject to random or probabilistic elements that make it impossible to predict their future behavior with absolute certainty.

What is the significance of bifurcations in nonlinear dynamics?

Bifurcations refer to points at which there is a qualitative change in the behavior of a system as a parameter or variable is gradually changed. These points can mark the transition from ordered to chaotic behavior, or the emergence of new patterns in the system's dynamics.

What are some real-world applications of nonlinear dynamics and chaos theory?

Nonlinear dynamics and chaos theory have many applications in various fields such as physics, biology, economics, and engineering. Some examples include weather forecasting, understanding heart rhythms, predicting stock market fluctuations, and designing more efficient and stable structures.