1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Nonlinear OD transform to linear ODE

1. Oct 6, 2012 #1
    Hello,

I am confused as to how to transform nonlinear ODEs to linear ones by change of variables. Usually its pretty straight forward and I can do it, but this particular problem has me stumped and I dont know where to begin.

2. Relevant equations
    2rw1194.png

Thank you guys!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 6, 2012 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Where did you see "transforing nonlinear ODEs to linear ones by change of variables"? You can't! Linear and non-linear ODEs have very different qualitative properties which cannot be changed by changing variables. We can approximate non-linear ODEs over varying parts of their range. Perhaps your reference is to changing variable to change the region in which the non-linear ODE can be approximated by a linear equation.

4. Oct 6, 2012 #3
    Some nonlinear, first order ODEs can be solved. I am supposed to find a change of variables such that the new ODE is variable separable and easily solvable.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook