Solving ODEs with Laplace. Stuck at Partial Fraction Expansi

Homework Statement

Hi,
So I had a pretty long question solving a Linear ODE but now I've gotten stuck at this stage where I can't seem to get it into the right form to carry out partial fraction expansion

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

81c8a71b26.png

[/B]
I'm quite sure that I what I have at the very last line isn't correct. I'm really new to solving ODEs with Laplace. Q and R are the constant things that you put over the fraction when solving with partial fraction expansion.

Answers and Replies

LCKurtz
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Hi,
So I had a pretty long question solving a Linear ODE but now I've gotten stuck at this stage where I can't seem to get it into the right form to carry out partial fraction expansion

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

View attachment 213056
[/B]
I'm quite sure that I what I have at the very last line isn't correct. I'm really new to solving ODEs with Laplace. Q and R are the constant things that you put over the fraction when solving with partial fraction expansion.
You have$$
Y(s)=\frac{A}{s(sB+1)}$$You want to set that equal to its partial fractions like this:$$
\frac{A}{s(sB+1)} = \frac Q s + \frac{R}{sB+1}$$
Add the two fractions on the right and compare numerators with the left to get ##Q## and ##R##.

You have$$
Y(s)=\frac{A}{s(sB+1)}$$You want to set that equal to its partial fractions like this:$$
\frac{A}{s(sB+1)} = \frac Q s + \frac{R}{sB+1}$$
Add the two fractions on the right and compare numerators with the left to get ##Q## and ##R##.
436750c918.png

Not sure how to compare these?

Ray Vickson
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Dearly Missed
View attachment 213075

Not sure how to compare these?

Well, is ##Q(sB+1) + Rs## equal to the constant ##A## for ALL values of ##s##? You need to figure out what values of ##Q## and ##R## make that happen. Did you really not see all this done in calculus 101?